Wellness

Way’s I’m Staying Healthy at the Start of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By Emily Gianni

Leaving 2021 and entering 2022, I knew I needed to better my body and mind. As the old, and way overused motto goes, “new year, new me.” I am slowly figuring out ways to be mentally and physically healthy in 2022, but here’s what I have worked on so far:

Surround myself with people who make me better

I am finally distancing myself from people who do not want to see me succeed or be the best version of myself. I am surrounding myself with more people who will tell me the honest truth and make me happy. When I started to do this, I became a much happier and more confident person. Although it is hard to distance yourself from those toxic friends, it really will change your mood.

Go to the gym

I just started to go to the gym about two months ago, and this has definitely changed my mood. Going to the gym allows me to get my mind off of anything that stresses me out and focus on bettering my body. I have also noticed some physical changes; I have gotten stronger and I have more defined muscles. When I go to the gym, I go with a friend or two and we workout together. Even though beginning to go to the gym can be scary, you will get more comfortable as you do it more. You also do not have to go for hours everyday, even a quick workout is okay; just get your body moving!

Drink more water

I normally am really good with drinking water, but when I went home for break, I stopped drinking water. I try to drink half of my body weight in ounces of water everyday, which is the recommended amount for you to drink. By increasing the amount of water you drink, you can boost your metabolism. I always have a water bottle with me when I go to class and you would be surprised how much water you drink without even noticing.

Get enough sleep

Sleep has always been super important to me. If I do not get enough sleep, I am NOT having a good day because I get really grouchy. This semester, I have my first 8 a.m. class, which means I need to have a good sleeping schedule to get the recommended 7-9 hours of sleep. Sleep allows your body and mind to recharge, as well as prevent you from getting sick. For obvious reasons, getting enough sleep to keep your immune system strong is important during COVID times.

Leave time for activities I enjoy

Since I started college, I have filled my plate with activities to do: HerCampus, cheerleading, Sigma Delta Tau. I have to balance all of these activities with school, work, and a personal life. This is why I need to have good time management skills to fit everything into my schedule. I personally need a planner to remember everything I have going on, which really does help me a tremendous amount. If you are a little disorganized or overwhelmed, I would definitely recommend a planner! Although school and work are important, give yourself a little break during the day to do something you enjoy. Doing a fun activity like a craft or playing a game with your friends will keep you happy and sane.

Emily Gianni

Manhattan '24

Hi I'm Emily! I am in my Senior Year at Manhattan College, graduating in Spring 2024. I am studying Childhood Special Education with an upward extension to middle school with a double major in English. My goal in life is to teach elementary school and later on, teach middle school. Although I don't have a position in my Her Campus chapter, I am still an active writer for Her Campus! I write about all different topics for Her Campus, anything that interests me or that I believe other girls will find useful and informational. I am a team captain on the Manhattan College cheerleading team, so I may write about that sometimes. I also love sorority rush season so I have written about my sorority a few times. I believe that Her Campus is an amazing source for women to put their work out there and influence other girls. I love being a part of this organization and being able to write about whatever I love. This is the best outlet for me to learn more about my writing style, experiment with different topics that I would not be allowed to write about in a class, and grow as a writer.