This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Manifesting is how one brings that which they desire into their life through attraction or belief. One way to beget our desires is through mantras. A mantra is a word or a sentence that, through repetition, allows us to focus on what it is that we want out of life, and allow those things to come into our lives. A mantra may be said in the mirror every morning or in bed every night, much like a prayer. A mantra may sound something like this :

“Today, I will do well on my exam. My studying has paid off and I understand the material; therefore, I will do well.”  

However, mantras can be used for anything in our life: love, health, or happiness. They are a way to remind ourselves of that which we want and that we will achieve it. Mantras are similar to self-exploratory prompts, allowing us to dig deeper into ourselves and manifest the reality within ourselves. If you are religious, have been to a place of worship, or even been around someone who is religious, a mantra might remind you of a prayer. This is a good way to look at it, as prayer is itself a form of manifestation. In asking a higher power of guidance or prosperity, you are manifesting that these things will happen. Look at manifesting as praying to the universe for something positive to happen to you. Putting out this positive energy will allow it to come back to you. 

To begin, try thinking about your education or career goals. What comes to mind when you think of these things? Perhaps there are grades, internships, or job opportunities you desire to get. Once you have identified in your mind what these things are, try expressing them in words and writing them down on a sheet of paper. This will help you to put into words what it is you want. Remember that it is okay if you forget to say your mantras some days, as long as you are putting in the effort to focus and concentrate on what you want and allowing space for it to enter your life. Begin with something simple, like having a good day or having something beneficial happen to you. See where this outlook takes you and if it changes your perspective on that day. This is a good way to experiment with manifesting and find out if it is good for you. 

Below is a starter phrase to help guide you through manifesting:

“Today will be a good day. Good things will happen to me because I am allowing and accepting of them into my life. It will be a good day because …”    

Adrianne Hutto

Manhattan '24

Adrianne Hutto is a Senior communication major at Manhattan College with a concentration in journalism. She loves writing about fashion, animals and food. In her free time she loves to cook, spend time with her cat, Casper, and rollerskating in Van Cortlandt Park.
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!