stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

How to Make the Most of Your Morning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

My ideal morning routine to be my most productive, happiest, and healthiest self.

Throughout highschool, I was notorious for ignoring my alarm in the morning. It would ring for a good 5-10 minutes before my parents came storming in my room to wake me up. Therefore, when it came time to leave for Manhattan, I was definitely concerned about my attendance record for my morning classes. I made it my mission to find simple but sustainable habits I could implement into my routine in order to get myself up and out of bed. How did I learn to love mornings, you may ask? That is why I am here to share with you the benefits I have received from waking up early and how I make the most of my mornings. 

1. The early bird gets the worm

Even if I had a 9 am class on Monday, and an 11:30 the next, I made sure to wake up at the same time every single day. I noticed that after waking up at the same time for about a week, I no longer needed an alarm to get myself up. Yes, I still had one set just to be safe, but more often than not, my body would naturally wake itself up right before my alarm. However, I needed a purpose or motivation for getting up so early before class. Waking up early allowed me to take time for myself in order to finish any assignments, journal, or go to the gym without any distractions. It got me excited to wake up, be productive in order to make the most of my day. 

2. Hydrate

There has not been one morning where I would not wake up and drink a glass (or more) of water right away. This is a habit I started before I even got to college because of all the amazing benefits it provides for the body. It’s obvious that drinking water hydrates your body, but it is especially important after a long night’s sleep because your body is dehydrated. Drinking water right after waking up not only nourishes the body, but flushes out any unwanted toxins, allowing your body to get back in balance. Another benefit of hydration is its ability to get your  metabolism and digestion going. You are left feeling energized and ready to get the day started. Try adding fresh lemon juice to your water as an extra boost for your body.  

3. Stretch/Workout

Upon waking up, my body may tend to feel a little uncomfortable or stiff, making it even harder to get out of bed. A quick but effective fix I discovered was simply stretching rightwhen I wake up. The best part is that you do not even have to get out of bed to do so.Stretching is an easy way to get your blood flowing and release any unwanted tension or soreness from your muscles. If you want to challenge yourself, try following a short Vinyasa Yoga routine on Youtube, or implement an hour gym session if you’re  up for it. Once your body is moving and blood is flowing, you not only feel more energized,but it is proven to increase concentration; perfect for achieving your daily goals.

4. Meditate

Instead of waking up and scrolling through my phone right away, I chose to replace that habit with meditation. Meditation is something I just recently began consistently incorporating into my daily routine. Whether in the morning or evening, I would allocate 5-10 minutes of my day to sit in a silent, comfortable space in order to release any stress, clear my mind, and just become more self-aware. Everyone is different, but found meditation to be most effective right before bed. I noticed it helped improve my sleep because it gave my body time to wind-down and release any stressors I may have been holding onto. However, if you prefer meditating in the morning, it allows you to set your intentions and goals for the day and start off stress-free.

5. Gratitude Journal

One noteworthy way to bring purpose to your day is writing down what you are most grateful or thankful for. I find a lot of the time we as people do not take enough time to reflect on all the positive aspects of our lives and the little things we may take for granted. Often we seek and want more, whether it is clothes, friends, or money but do not appreciate enough what we already have. I found that reflecting and writing down what or who I appreciate most gives my morning a little more purpose. You may also try writing down goals for the day, the next week, or maybe the next month. Use these notes as motivation to get through your day and remind you of why you are doing what you are doing.

I am happy to say that not once during my freshman year did I skip a morning class because I slept in or simply did not feel like getting up. Soon after incorporating these five habits into my routine, the morning became my new favorite time of day. You no longer have to dread waking up early as long as you make it work for you and your lifestyle; that is the only way to make it sustainable. If you want to try and implement these habits into your routine, start off by picking one and working at it until it becomes habit. Soon you will not have to think twice about it and hopefully you too will learn to love the morning like I do!

Jana Clark

Manhattan '22

Jana Clark is a senior at Manhattan College majoring in Communication with a minor in Environmental Studies. Her passions include writing, photography, and health/nutrition! One day she hopes to work for a nonprofit organization where she can be part of the effort to end the marginalization of vulnerable communities and fight for social justice. You can often find Jana volunteering, at the gym, or exploring different parts of the Big Apple.
Michaela is a Childhood Education Major with Concentrations in Math and Spanish at Manhattan College. She will be continuing her studies in the Masters program at Manhattan, and earn a Masters Degree in Special Education. She was a member of Her Campus at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, PA and is now the Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor at Manhattan! She is beyond excited to be a Jasper and that she found her home at MC!