This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

Spring: a time when the trees finally begin to regain their leaves, flowers bloom, and spending time outside is a valid excuse to avoid working. Now that the days are longer and the temperature is creeping up, going for a walk is the best part of my everyday routine.  

During the first COVID-19 lockdown I had nothing to do and was driven crazy by my family, so I turned to walks to give me peace for a few hours out of the day. I established a route in my neighborhood, changing it and adding to it as I grew to enjoy walking more. Going for a walk became an established part of my day and has remained that way since. In every place I’ve lived, I have an established walking route. I have a walking route in Connecticut, one in Baltimore, and one in New Zealand I made while I was abroad.  

The best part about going for a walk is that I don’t have any real thoughts while walking. I play my music at a volume that will definitely cause hearing problems later on; I forget any schoolwork, stress, or problems I have going on. When I check to see what assignments I have for the week and begin to stress out over how all of it is going to get done, sending myself into a spiral, I go for a walk. By the time I am back, I feel like I have a plan to tackle every single assignment.  

Though it may not be a solution to every single problem, I do believe that going for a walk solves most of mine. I am no medical professional nor do I know the exact science behind what going for a walk does for you, however, I do know that spending time outdoors or spending time engaged in physical activity is incredibly good for you. On top of that, it allows you time to spend with yourself.  

Since it is finally enjoyable to be outside again, my advice to anyone with the time is to start going for walks. It is not the most intense exercise, not the only thing you can do to alleviate stress, but it is one of the things that I look forward to most everyday.  

Mary is a junior at Loyola University Maryland from Fairfield, CT. Mary is a chemistry major with a writing minor. She is a writer for HC, and is excited to share her work.