This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Being a college freshman is both extremely exciting and absolutely terrifying at the same time. For many of us, this is our first time being away from our loved ones for a super long period of time. Some of us may be thousands of miles away from our friends and family. Even if you are close to home, it can still take a while to adapt to the new lifestyle that is college. As we gradually become more confident in our new homes, it is important to check up on ourselves every now and then. Here are five small ways you can take care of your mental health in college:

Deep breathing

I know, I know…we’ve all been told to take deep breaths in stressful situations. However cliché this practice may sound, it truly does ground you. Deep breathing allows us to be present, even if just for a short moment or two, in our day. If you’re ever feeling overwhelmed, simply inhale through your nose and exhale out of your mouth three to five times. Imagine breathing in the positive and letting go of all the negative as you exhale. This practice can take less than a minute, but can really help you feel centered. If you need extra assistance, search “deep breathing gif” and find the best rhythm for you.

Self-affirmation

A great way to boost your self-esteem is to actually look at yourself in the mirror and give yourself a compliment. These statements of self-affirmation don’t have to be anything complex, a simple, “you are strong and intelligent” will do. We often have a much harder time being kind to ourselves versus being kind to friends or family members. Self-love is incredibly important, though! Taking the time to appreciate yourself before rushing off to classes is what can and will set an optimistic tone for the rest of your day.

Gratitude journal 

I have recently adopted the habit of jotting down five things that I am grateful for every other day. Whenever you have free time, sit down with a journal and think of five things that made you happy that day. These don’t have to be big-ticket items, but perhaps it was the delicious croissants you ate for breakfast or a zoom session with your best friend. Writing in a gratitude journal diverts our attention to the good things we have, instead of focusing solely on what we don’t have. If this doesn’t convince you to get a gratitude journal, then I would also like to add that Oprah has kept a gratitude journal for over a decade…and if Oprah does it, we all should.

Working out 

Working out is not only beneficial to our physical health, but to our mental health as well. Endorphins, chemicals that boost happiness, are released every time we work out. Stick to what you are comfortable with when you’re starting out, and know that everything helps…even just walking on the treadmill! Queue your favorite playlist to get you pumped up. A perfect pair: the elliptical and Bohemian Rhapsody: The Original Soundtrack.

Watching comfort television and movies

Watching one of your favorite shows or movies can be very therapeutic. After a long day, there’s nothing like winding down with a romantic comedy or a classic sitcom. Basically any Drew Barrymore movie hits the spot for me. Pick something light-hearted that will leave you feeling cheery and inspired afterward. Grab a snack and just escape for an hour or two. This is an instant mood lifter!

Francesca Bermudez is a journalism major from Saratoga, CA. She is a fashion and film enthusiast who enjoys traveling and spending time with friends.
Her Campus LMU