This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

In one of my psychology courses this semester, my professor dedicated a whole class to learning about mindfulness and practicing mindfulness meditation. Mindfulness is stopping what you are doing and focusing on the moment. Throughout the day we focus on what we have to do next or something that happened in the past. Our minds are always focused on so many different things that we need to try to enjoy our present moment. Before every class, Professor Hannan, my psychology professor, guides us through mindful meditation for 5-10 minutes. Taking just a few minutes out of your day to do this can really help ease your mind. Here are the steps to follow while practicing mindfulness. However, there are other ways to practice mindfulness that are just as helpful.  

1. Get in a comfortable position, but make sure to straighten your back. You may choose to close your eyes or keep them open.
  2. Focus on the sounds around you. During each step, it is important to not make any judgments about anything. Simply acknowledge any of the sounds you hear. 
  3. Next, focus on your breathing. Do not change the way you are breathing, but allow yourself to feel your chest as it rises and falls. Allow yourself to feel the air entering your mouth or nose. Focus on one of those aspects, the rise and fall of the chest or the air entering your body. 
  4. As you breathe, count your breaths starting at 1 and ending at 10. Then, if you want to, start from 1 again. 
  5. Then, focus on the placement of your body on whatever you are sitting on. If there is any tension, simply acknowledge it. Focus on the sensations of your feet touching the floor and where your back and legs are making contact with the chair or other object you are sitting on. 
  6. Start to focus back on the sounds you hear. 
  7. Open your eyes if you closed them and resume your day.  

Though my professor guides my class through mindfulness, I have practiced these steps on my own. Some days it is harder for me to slow down my thoughts and get into the state of mindfulness. On these days, I make sure to count my breaths from 1-10 a few times. Counting helps distract your mind from thoughts that may arise. This exercise is really wonderful and allows you to enjoy the present moment without judgment.

Callie Walder

Lafayette '22

Lafayette '22
Layla Ennis

Lafayette '23

Junior at Lafayette College