This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

Let us reset and restart! Individuals may describe 2020 as entering a dystopian realm. Some yearn to find a world which promotes self-discovery, wishing to overcome obstacles that may appear when trying to reach one’s goals. If this imagery aligns with your perspective on 2020 and you are looking to adopt a bulletproof strategy to aid you on your journey of self-discovery, hop on my train as we enter a land full of new opportunities.

ANALYSE YOUR CURRENT SITUATION

To progress to the new realm, we must take time to reflect on 2020. How do we achieve this? Well, grab a piece of paper and identify three to five successes you have had in the year 2020; this may have been trying a new hobby, such as mastering the art of cooking, or securing an internship opportunity. Whatever your achievement may be, big or small, scribble it down on paper. This act of reflection may give you the feeling of satisfaction. I think it is important to note that you accomplished these things during a time where you had to adapt quickly to the shift in the environment due to the pandemic. That is amazing! 

Once you have taken the opportunity to appreciate your achievements, the next step is to identify your causes and beliefs as this will aid you in the next stage of the process. 

CREATE A PURPOSE STATEMENT 

Now that you have left the dystopian world, you are eager to explore a new one, to seek new opportunities and find yourself. Before you progress, you must take the first step of manifesting your dream life by identifying three personal goals you want to achieve in one year, five years and ten years from now. To curate your list of goals, you can reflect on your past achievements in constructing your future aspirations. A few examples are taking time for yourself to indulge in a hobby you enjoy or gaining work experience in your discipline to develop your skill-set and expand your knowledge.  

Then, using the cause and belief you have outlined in the previous step, develop three to five fulfilling contributions you want to make to society. Suggestions include dedicating your time to mentor students to guide their academic studies, recycling your plastic at a local recycling centre or participating in a fundraiser.

You may choose to adopt a written or a visual form of a purpose statement to help you shape your goals. If you are a visual person, you may choose to create a mood board and take pages out of a magazine to stick onto cardboard whilst assigning a goal to the imagery.

ENTERING THE GATES OF YOUR UTOPIA 

You have just reached the checkpoint at the entrance to your utopian world. You have a glimpse of the realm that you desire to enter, but to proceed you need to take the necessary actions to achieve your goals. If you aspire to progress in your career, you may choose to seek internship opportunities. If one of your goals is to be more mindful, you may wish to start a daily journal.

I would recommend placing your purpose statement in an area you frequent as it can provide you with a constant reminder of your desire to enter your utopian world. Once you achieve the goals you have set yourself, cross them off, as it may give you a sense of accomplishment and encourage you to tackle the next task.

image of three friends watching the sunset
Photo by Simon Maage from Unsplash

Now that you have a glimpse of your utopian world, I have faith in you that you will take the necessary steps to enter your desired realm. Good luck on your journey. I shall be plodding along beside you as you work towards your goals.

Joanna has graduated with a Public Relations and Communications degree at the University of Greenwich and is continuing her studies at King's College London pursuing Digital Asset and Media Management. She enjoys drinking a matcha latte, travelling, binge-watching tv shows whilst endlessly scrolling on social media. Say hi to her on Instagram or LinkedIn!
hahsghqs