nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Let’s Talk About Mental Health: Resources at JMU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Despite living in a society where mental health is every day becoming more talked about and less stigmatized, if you’re struggling with your mental health it may feel overwhelming to seek out resources for yourself on top of exams, club meetings, and making time for your friends. That being said, your well-being is extremely important and should not be back-burned, especially during this (rather stressful) stage of your life. To make things easier for you, I’ve compiled a short list of just a few services provided by JMU for students looking to talk to somebody so that you can find the place that best fits what you’re looking for. 

#1: The Counseling Center in SSC

Located on the fifth floor in the Student Success Center, the Counseling Center is a free resource for students seeking counseling services. In addition to one-on-one counseling sessions the Counseling Center also provides group therapy sessions, crisis counseling, workshops, and more. To set up an appointment, either call ahead or visit in person to set up a time. After your initial appointment, you and your counselor will make a counseling plan. It should be noted that in certain cases, the Counseling Center may express that they are not well-equipped enough to work with you, and may refer you to an off-campus resource.

If you’re just feeling really stressed out one day, you can also visit The Studio or The Oasis both located in the Counseling Center. No appointment is necessary, just present your JAC Card and you’ll have free access. The Studio is full of art supplies so you can take out your stress in an expressive way, and The Oasis has massage chairs, aroma therapy, yoga mats, and other ways to help you relax. 

#2: Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) in Blue Ridge Hall

The Counseling Center in SSC is a great resource for students; however, if you’re looking for something more long-term, you might consider checking out the Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) in Blue Ridge Hall. With CAPS you would be working with a Graduate Student in the Grad Psych program, and while there is not necessarily a guarantee that you’ll have the same counselor semester-to-semester, you are not limited to a short-term plan like in the Counseling Center. The initial appointment is free and every additional appointment costs $10, though you do have the choice to fill out a fee waiver form if you would like. 

#3: Madison Advising Peers (MAPS) in Roop Hall

If you’re struggling more with academic-related problems, you might consider checking out the Madison Advising Peers in Roop 201. No appointments are necessary and you get to sit with a student trained by the university to talk about class schedules, graduation requirements, major and minor changes, and more. This can be a great option for you if your faculty advisor is busy or you need a quick answer about getting into a class, meeting your requirements, or anything for that matter. The office is open Monday-Thursday from 10am-5pm.

#4: Career and Academic Planning (Also CAPS) in SSC

Career and Academic Planning is a great resource for all questions career. Swing by if you have questions about internships, graduate school, full-time jobs, and more. CAPS (yes, there are two “CAPS” offices at JMU — we aren’t fancy with our acronyms) also hosts internship fairs, job fairs, resume-building workshops, mock interviews, and so much more. 

#5: Title IX in Madison Hall

If you’re a victim of sexual assault, sexual harassment, or any form of gender-based discrimination, you should consider reaching out to Title IX. Their job is to ensure that your rights are protected and to help you through traumatic experiences, whether or not you choose to get law enforces involved. They can provide additional resources and are a great place to go to assure you that you’re not going through your experience alone. 

During these stressful years, it is incredibly important to put your needs above everything else. If you’re struggling, consider taking advantages of one of these on-campus resources. Your brain will thank you for it. 

19-year-old intersectional feminist on a mission to spread love and encourage girls to embrace their sexuality and bodies. Also on the mission to find the most delicious cup of coffee.
Hello, it's me. Edel (pronounced like the singer), was previously Assistant Social Editor, Video for Her Campus Media. She graduated in May 2018  from James Madison University in with a double major in Media Arts and Design and Communications Studies. Before joining the HC girl gang full-time she was the Campus Correspondent for the JMU Her Campus Chapter. She's an avid social media user, food enthusiast, and shopping extraordinaire. You can catch her taking a coffee break or binge-watching romantic comedies on Netflix.