samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

7 Ways to Destress During Midterm Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Midterms. Ah yes, time for endless days at the library, just dreaming about the days you can finally be at the beach, free from deadlines and exams and essays. Let’s do this midterm season a little different and not let the stress overwhelm you. It is crucial to destress since it helps your mental health AND can even help you study more efficiently. Here are seven ways to de-stress during midterm season. Happy studying! 

1. Take timed breaks

Studies show that studying non-stop for hours at a time is actually detrimental to your mental health and as a result, you will not be able to absorb the material necessary for the exam. Instead, study hard (with no distractions) for 20-30 minutes and then take a quick 10 minute break. Use these 10 minutes to peruse Instagram, read Her Campus, listen to some music, or even meditate! Set a timer and keep yourself accountable as well. When the timer goes off, back to the grind for another 30 minutes. You’ll be more productive, I promise! 

2. Yoga

Take an hour for yourself! Head to the ARC and take a yoga class or find a YouTube video right at home. Yoga is very beneficial for getting rid of stress. Yoga is a mind-body practice that combines physical poses, controlled breathing, and meditation or relaxation. Yoga can also help lower your blood pressure and lower your heart rate. You will be ready to accomplish anything if you bring peaceful energy to the library. 

3. Clean your space

Sometimes being productive within other aspects of your life can actually help you be productive with your studies. Clean your room, change your sheets, take a shower, or keep your desk organized!  Clutter leads to stress and can also make it more difficult to focus, especially if you’re a neat freak like me. 

4. Call home

Calling your parents to complain and rant about your life can ALWAYS reduce your stress levels. Your parents want to know how you’re doing and they care! They will give you a taste of home so you can go back to studying knowing you have an awesome family to support you when you’re stressed. 

5. Treat yourself

Have a snack, take a long shower, get a venti coffee at Starbucks, or take a well-deserved nap. You earned it! And well, if you don’t think you earned it quite yet, use these as a reward. 

6. Jam out to music

Play your favorite song and dance along! Dancing helps reduce stress and music can help boost those serotonin levels, leaving you happier, healthier, and more motivated to hit the books. 

7. Mental health FIRST

Yes, academics are important, but realize that your mental health should always come first. An A+ on an exam is not more important than getting enough sleep, eating properly, and tending to your mental needs. It is important to take things as they come. The minute you feel overwhelmed, anxious, or panicky, take a break! Everything will be okay in the long run.

Photo 1 | Photo 2 | Photo 3 | Photo 4 | Photo 5 | Photo 6 | Photo 7

Micayla Shevlin

Illinois '21

Micayla is a junior at the University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign. She is currently an Advertising major and has loved writing short stories and poetry ever since she was little.
Gloriann Lance

Illinois '19

Hi! My name is Gloriann Lance and I am a senior at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. I am one of the two Campus Correspondents for the 2018-2019 school year and I have been on Her Campus for 3 years.