This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Positive affirmations have recently made a huge impact on an individual’s mental health. You’ve probably seen people on social media and influencers share some of their own that they use or they talk about how it’s become a part of their daily routines. But what exactly are positive affirmations? Do they even work? Why should I use them? When I first heard about them, I thought they were cheesy and kind of cliché. It seemed like a joke or something that people were making fun of. Kind of like those “just girly things” Tumblr quotes. As a psychology major, I wanted to learn more about the science behind it and if it actually works. I’ve always heard of “fake it ‘til you make it” and I figured it might follow a similar pattern.

Positive affirmations are essentially short sentences that hold an uplifting message. These are repeated in order to improve your mood. I’ve found that positive affirmations work better when you’re already in a positive mindset. It’s almost like a way for your brain to train and become routinely thinking positive. When you get down, your brain will remember to tell you things to motivate yourself and eventually will boost your self-esteem. Your mindset becomes stronger and more readily available to battle negative thoughts that will eventually arise. If you only use positive affirmations when you’re sad, then it will feel hopeless, like you’re being mocked, or just foreign. This would happen because your brain is not trained by that repetition of positivity. The repetition is the most important, the lack of repetition is the main reason why people claim that these phrases don’t work. They’re not an absolute cure for mental health issues, but they sure can help especially in everyday life. In honor of discovering the wide-found success of positive affirmations, I’ll share some of my favorites that I’ve found/thought of that would apply to some of my given situations.

1. I am deserving of love.
  2. I am capable.
  3. I can be happy.
  4. I am successful.
  5. I’m doing the best I can.
  6. I am enough.
  7. I can do anything.
  8. Everything will be okay.
  9. I believe in myself.
  10. I can make a difference.
  11. I believe in my dreams.
  12. I will do better next time.
  13. Everyday is a new beginning.
  14. I am important.
  15. I love myself.
  16. I am blessed.
  17. I’m here for a reason.
  18. I can do this.
  19. I can ask for help.
  20. I won’t give up.
  21. I am okay with failure.
  22. Today will be a good day.
  23. I will enjoy life.
  24. I am grateful.
  25. I am safe.
  26. I will be optimistic.
  27. I will be realistic.
  28. I am unique.
  29. I am growing.
  30. I am where I’m meant to be.
  31. I am healthy.
  32. I am strong.
  33. I am unstoppable.
  34. I am beautiful inside and out.
  35. I am confident.
  36. I am the source of my own happiness.
  37. I will be focused.
  38. I will be goal-oriented.
  39. I am a good friend.
  40. I am a good role model.
  41. I am productive.
  42. I am going to do great things.
  43. I will make the most with what I have.
  44. I am a good person.
  45. I have a good heart.
  46. I am allowed to have fun.
  47. I will have faith.
  48. I am hopeful.
  49. It’s okay to take time for myself.
  50. I will allow myself to feel.

Using positive affirmations can seem weird at first, but the more you repeat them and even discover new ones to use, the better your mental health will be. Coping with mental health is something that we all encounter, and this is just one way that can make our lives a little healthier and better overall. A positive mindset can turn anything around. We’ll be less stressed, more productive and it’ll affect the mindsets of those around us. If you want to create your own positive affirmations, it helps to start by thinking about what you struggle with. Think of some of the negative statements that pop in your head when something goes wrong, then decide what you should be telling yourself instead. Or you could think about the advice that you wish you would’ve gotten at that moment. Just remember that with repetition, positive affirmations can help you improve the overall mental health of yourself and others.

Check out the links below I referenced for more information on affirmations!

https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/affirmations.htm

https://positivepsychology.com/daily-affirmations/

Bella Sibenaller

Illinois State '23

Hi, my name is Bella and I'm a junior here at Illinois State. I'm a psychology major, but I'm also going into nursing. At ISU, I am also apart of the National Society for Leadership and Success and currently serve as the social chair. My hometown is Charleston, Illinois. It's a super small town south of ISU. In my free time, I enjoy hanging out with friends and Facetiming my eight year old sister. If you have any questions about Her Campus or any of the other organizations I'm involved in, please reach out! My Instagram is @bellajsib.