Wellness

Stress Relieving Tips and Tricks for When You’re Feeling Overwhelmed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

With the spring semester coming to a quick close within the next month and a half, stress levels are at an all-time high. For college students, this time of year tends to be full of deadlines and endless assignments, which can get mentally exhausting very quickly. Whether that be the case for you or your stress is rooted in other places like work, family, money, and so on, utilizing some of these helpful tips and tricks may help alleviate some of that stress.

Going Outside

One of the best parts about spring is that the weather finally starts to improve, the sun comes out more, the air is warmer (not always, you never know with living in the Midwest), and overall it’s way more enjoyable than a foot of snow on the ground. Whenever I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed, I always try to take some time to go outside and get some fresh air if it’s nice outside. Taking a few minutes and sitting outside or going on a walk really can make a world of a difference to your mental health. Vitamin D is good for the body, so soaking it in when you can is a super easy task. Exposing yourself to some sunlight and fresh air is one of the easiest ways to take a breather and de-stress for a little while.

Pamper Yourself

Taking care of yourself is super important, no matter if you don’t think you have time for it or not. Taking a break to get your nails or hair done, getting a massage, or simply taking some time to take a bath and do a face mask are all easy ways to not only make yourself feel better physically but they help to destress too. I think a lot of people forget that it’s okay to want to prioritize yourself and your needs sometimes too, so taking the time to do something for yourself is 100% necessary no matter how busy your schedule is. This is also kind of a life hack too because I know for me personally, I seem to get a lot more done when I feel good about myself. Your mind and body will thank you for this one!

Take breaks

Although it may be hard in high-stress situations to take breaks because of fear of running out of time, it’s still necessary to take time for yourself. If you’re writing a really important paper or studying at your desk for long periods of time, it may be beneficial to remove yourself from that environment for a bit and take some time for yourself. Even a 10-minute break every hour or so can give you something to look forward to. This is the perfect time to go outside for a bit or lay on the couch if that’s more your vibe, whatever makes you feel more relaxed is what you should be prioritizing during break times. This is not only necessary for yourself but your entire body.

exercise

Surprisingly exercise is known to be a natural de-stressor. If you’ve ever wondered why you feel so much better after physical activity, it’s because your body releases endorphins during exercise that can help improve your mood. Exercise can look different for everyone, it doesn’t have to mean going to the gym. You can take a walk outside, go on a bike ride, do some yoga, or whatever other activity makes you happy and gets your heart rate pumping. Physical activity is one of the easiest ways to maintain your overall health and wellness so finding time to incorporate it into a busy schedule is very important.

Everyone gets stressed, it’s inevitable as a human being with responsibilities! But there are definitely ways to help make that feeling a little less heavy. Remember, it’s always important to take care of yourself before anything else, so try not to let stress consume you, even if it seems impossible. Know that at the end of the day, this stress will pass, and have faith that you’ll get it done or accomplish what you’re wanting!

Carley Stone

Illinois State '22

Hi! My name is Carley and I'm a senior at Illinois State majoring in Journalism with a minor in Sociology. In my free time I love working out, hanging out with friends and family and shopping! I also love writing and I am so excited to be a part of Her Campus :) follow my ig! @carleystone_