BTC WELLNESS?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
BTC WELLNESS?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
HCM Design
Wellness

Easy Ways to Stay Healthy in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Let’s be honest — living in a dorm is not the healthiest environment. College takes a toll on you physically, mentally, and emotionally. Here are some easy ways to stay healthy amidst the daily grind of college life.

Drink a Lot of Water

Drinking water is the easiest way to boost your health. Everyone, from your friends to your favorite celebrities, boasts about the powers of water. Though I don’t think drinking water will give you JLo’s skin (that’s all genes and money) or Jennifer Aniston’s skin (again, genes and money … and definitely NOT Aveeno), I do know that drinking water is crucial to your health. It’ll hydrate you (duh), give you energy, and help your body function regularly. Fill up your favorite reusable water bottle and start sipping!

Invest in Liquid IV’s

My roommate introduced me to the magic that is Liquid IV this summer and subsequently changed my life. They’re little packets of powder that you pour into water. They’re packed with electrolytes but aren’t as sugary as other electrolyte drinks like Gatorade. They come in a bunch of different flavors. My favorites are watermelon and tangerine, which also has added Vitamin C for an extra dose of health.

Sleep!

All-nighters are overrated. Sleep is the ultimate healer and is crucial to maintaining your health. Even if you’re swamped with work, try to get at least six hours of sleep a night. A loss of sleep will lead to more stress and less productivity, so staying up to finish that assignment will not be worth it in the long run! If you do end up having to work late into the night, try to make up for it with a nap the next day or an early bedtime.

Go Outside

At the risk of sounding too earthy-crunchy, nature is healing. Now that the sun is out and the weather is warmer, make sure to take some time outside every day to soak in the fresh air. Spending time outside with a book or walking around listening to a good playlist (aka Taylor Swift’s entire discography) is one of my favorite ways to relax and feel grounded. Don’t forget to bring a mask in case you bump into some other people!

Journal or Meditate (or both!)

It’s important to take time every day to check in with yourself and be still. I personally find journaling and meditation to be helpful for me, and I highly recommend both of these methods. Give them a shot and channel your inner zen!

Hopefully some of these tips will help you stay healthy, especially during midterms.

Bridget is a Senior English major at Holy Cross. She likes books, yoga, Taylor Swift, feta cheese, and reality TV. When she grows up, she wants to be Miss Havisham or Jia Tolentino.