Kristen Bryant-Thinking In A Lala College Sweatshirt
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus
Wellness

Why You Should Talk To Your Parents About Mental Heath

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

For anyone that suffers from any type of mental illness, whether it be minor anxiety or severe depression, it is extremely difficult to talk about in any context. The stigma around mental health has definitely decreased over the years, and many more people feel much more comfortable saying “I have anxiety” in a social setting because so many others have it too. Asking for help from friends or professionals isn’t seen as a weakness anymore. Praise is given to those who know they need help and ask when is needed. 

However, most people still have a very difficult time when it comes to talking about mental illness with their parents or guardians. This could be for several reasons: Either you don’t have a great relationship with your parents, you have a good relationship but you don’t feel that close to them, or you have a great relationship with them but for some reason, it’s harder to tell your parents when you need help. Whatever the reason, in most cases, parents are the one person that can truly help you when you are going through hard times. 

When I was going through a rough time, I was very reluctant to talk to my parents about it. I am not exactly sure why, but it was easier to talk to my friends or my boyfriend about it because I felt that I would be disappointing my parents if I admitted that I needed extra help regarding my anxiety. All of winter break I noticed that I was way more irritable than usual cause I was battling with myself on whether or not I should ask my parents for help. Eventually, I couldn’t hold it in any longer and I finally talked to my parents about all the things that were bothering me. 

A photo of scrabble words assembled to spell \"anxiety\"
uploaded to Pixabay by Wokandapix

Talking to my parents was probably the best decision I could have possibly made. Now, I know not everyone has a great relationship with their parents, so if you know that this is a topic they will not understand I am extremely sorry and I hope you get the help you need in another way. But, even if you only have a slight inclination that talking to them will result in a positive outcome, go for it!

Once I talked to my parents, they were nothing but supportive about what was happening inside of my brain. Of course, they were a little confused about why I was feeling the way that I was, as would all parents if you never act anything but happy around them, but they provided me all of the help I could possibly need. They helped me find an amazing therapist that I now go to and they allow me to talk, or not talk, to them about anything I need or want. Talking to friends or partners is great, but friends come and go and could use that against you if they ever need it. In most cases, your parents will always be there for you and will never judge you about anything. You can call them up at any point and they will be there for you no matter what. 

All in all, talking to your parents, in the right scenario, is a lot easier than many think it will be. It opened up so many doors to get the help that I never thought I would be able to have, and no matter what is going on in my life I can always call and tell my parents. They are always there for me, unlike some friends might be. Parents are not the enemy, they are just here to help. And trust me, they will if you are honest with them about the things you are going through in life.  

Mother holding her daughter
Photo by Eye for Ebony on Unsplash

Arianna is a part of the class of 2023 at Hofstra University. She is a biology major with a concentration in ecology and evolutionary biology. She can be found at any moment in her dorm room talking with her mystery snails, and no that is not a joke. She is probably eating ice cream and waffles with them too.