Where Are They Now?: Mariam Chubinidzhe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Mariam Chubinidzhe

Hometown: New York City

Major: Legal Studies in Business

Graduation Year: May 2017

Clubs/Involvement at Hofstra: Institute of Legal Studies in Business, Love Your Melon, Yoga Club

Current Position: Social Media Influencer

What inspired you to start your Instagram account?

What made me start my Instagram account, a little over 2 years ago, was starting my fitness journey. I was coming out of a very depressive year and getting ready to spend my fall semester abroad in Amsterdam, but something was missing. I knew it had to do with fitness because my confidence level was very low. I wanted to have a platform to keep accountable and Instagram was my favorite app at the time so I knew it was the best option for me! Instagram was my favorite app because I was already scrolling for like hours on end looking at transformation photos of girls, thinking to myself “I wish that was me”. One day, I just said, “let’s do it!” I made my account, took my first photo and did my first workout at home. 

What were your original hopes and plans for the account and do you believe you have accomplished them as of now?

Honestly, nothing really! I made the account truly for accountability purposes. I wish I could say I knew exactly what I was doing when I started my account, but I’d be lying. I just wanted to hold myself to a standard of honesty, especially, and my account helped with that.  

When did you decide to start working with brands, and how did you begin to incorporate that into your work?

I started working with brands probably right after I moved abroad. It was some weird coffee brand and I thought it was the best thing…until I tried it. I probably posted about it 2-3 times before being like “you know what, I don’t like this…” and I just stopped posting about it. The best advice anyone ever gave me, was to continue remaining authentic. I don’t want to take on an opportunity with a brand if I don’t truly love them and feel that I’d purchase their products without the Instagram.

Don’t say yes to everything – it’s not bad to try new things, but you don’t want to be the type that just says yes.

Since your studies do not entirely encompass that of an education in communications, how do you feel you were able to become successful in a media related work?

I honestly don’t know. I think because I was able to adapt to social media, it was like second nature. Besides being an influencer, I’m a regular consumer. I know what I like. I like to think I’m pretty relatable so I can play to my audiences. I would never post something on my account that I didn’t 100% believe in. I am a regular girl who just got a little lucky at the right time.

Has your time at Hofstra contributed to your success in media?

I took a consumer behavior marketing class the semester before I made my account, actually. I wanted to have a marketing minor, but my abroad ended up making it a management minor. I took marketing management abroad and while it taught me a lot, it didn’t particularly help me with my Instagram. But, my time at Hofstra contributed because I portrayed myself in a niche market. I started my account when I was entering my junior year. I was only 19 years old – a lot younger than most of the social media influencers. I think that really made me stand out.

How would you describe your aesthetic?

If we’re talking about what my feed on Instagram looks like, it’s pretty all over the place. I own leggings that are all black to bright blue. I try to keep up with the same filter on my photos, but sometimes it just doesn’t work. 

Can you sum up your career right now in 3 hashtags?

#girlboss #strugglinglawstudent #alwayssmiling  

What has been one of your most memorable moments thus far in your career?

I literally got a chance to go Sweden to stay with one of my first Instagram friends and meet her in person. Sweden. Who just randomly goes to Sweden without thinking of it? I guess I do. I went January of 2016 and it was literally incredible. I’ve met some of my best friends through my Instagram. I’ll never regret making @newyorkfittie because of the people that I’ve encountered since the start of my journey.

What role does social media have in your personal and professional life?

Social media is my whole life. There are times where I fully ignore Instagram or Snapchat for hours on end, but you can believe at the end or the start of my day, I’m scrolling through. However, since I’ve started law school, I am trying to be more off my phone and extremely present. I’m one step closer to my career as a lawyer. One tidbit though – Instagram actually opened up another door of law for me. With social media marketing increasing and health/wellness steering away from just a trend to a lifestyle choice, the law is changing as well. Intellectual property got a little broader and I’m excited to see how I can combine my loves for fitness and wellness with law.

For your future goals, what’s next?

Well, not fitness related, 25 countries by 25. I’m at 23 countries & I’ll be 22 years old in September! All 7 continents by 30 (2 more to go!). Fitness wise, I’m thinking about getting my yoga certification. I like to take things a day at a time because you never know where life will take you.

Follow Mariam on Instagram @newyorkfittie

Gia Tims

Hofstra '20

Gia is a double major in journalism and Italian at Hofstra University. She is obsessed with yoga, pugs, Friends and Target runs. Gia loves writing and hopes to live in NYC one day to fulfill her dream of becoming a journalist! Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @giatims