How To Stay Fit and Avoid the Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

If you’re anything like me you’ll find any excuse to avoid the gym. Something about running but not actually going anywhere really freaks you out and you’d take a trail run over a treadmill any day. Or maybe you’re just too lazy to leave your dorm room. Either way, Her Campus GAC has you covered! Below are three fabulous ways to get your sweat on but avoid the gym. Each idea caters to a different workout style/fitness goal. Pick one or try them all, it’s up to you. Just get moving!

1. If you want to get more toned and increase your overall fitness…

Try the Bikini Body Guide by Kayla Istines. Her program focuses on improving your overall strength and fitness by guiding you through 12 week cycles of circuit training, jogging, and interval training. She also provides dietary suggestions. You can access the program through her app, which cost $19.99 a month. She does offer a 7 day free trial. You can also access the workouts through her ebook, both of which can be purchased on her website. The best part about BBG is how flexible it is. Each circuit workout only takes 28 minutes and requires minimal equipment, so you can workout in your room, the Arb, the park, wherever! You can also tweak the workout to fit you. In addition, there is an amazing community of women using BBG who help motivate and cheer each other on. Check out Kayla on Instagram as well!

2. If you want to improve your cardio…

Check out some of the amazing running apps available, such as Nike+ or adidas miCoach Train and Run. Both these apps are completely free and are great for beginners or more experienced runners. Nike+ provides expert coaching advice and daily workout plans. It also allows you to compete against friends and tracks every aspect of your run, even providing audio feedback in-run. Adidas Train and Run offers similar features, such as real time voice coaching and feedback. It also provides detailed strength training routines to supplement your running and provides professional tips, advice, and motivation to keep you on track. Both apps can be purchased on Apple Store.

3. If you struggle with staying motivated and want to work out more consistently…

Try taking a bunch of different fitness classes at Gustavus. Yes, these are technically in the vicinity of the gym, but so much more fun! There are a ton of great options, from Zumba to yoga. The variety will keep working out from feeling like a chore and will keep your body guessing! Check out the school calendar for times and dates for classes such as Liberate the Booty, Dance Cardio, Cardio Kickboxing, or TRX. In addition to fitness classes, consider signing up for an intramural team or join a club sport. Maybe even try going out for a varsity team! Having a group of people to work out with helps keep you accountable and can making staying active much more fun.

Whatever you decide to do, just remember to make time for yourself and get out there!

Katie Allen is Editor-in-Chief for Gustavus' Her Campus Chapter. She is currently in her fourth year as an English major. Her role models include Emma Watson, Hillary Clinton, and Leslie Knope.