This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

If there’s something I know we all struggle with, it’s waking up in the mornings, especially for those 8:30 am classes that we all hate so much. I too am guilty of missing too many buses in the morning due to my inability to get myself out of bed, but I have found myself getting better at waking up in the morning recently. If you struggle to get out of bed in the morning, here are a few things you can do to try and give yourself an extra nudge.

1. Set multiple alarms 

Now, you don’t have to go overboard like I do (setting alarms at 5 minute intervals for literally 45 minutes just in case) but setting multiple alarms can help guarantee that you don’t sleep through one of your alarms or turn it off when you’re half asleep. It also helps to have a really startling alarm if you don’t mind waking up with a heart attack every morning. 

2. Put your alarm somewhere you need to get up to turn it off 

Whether it’s your phone or an alarm clock or whatever you use, if you place the alarm somewhere that you can’t turn it off without getting up, it’ll be much harder to roll over and go back to sleep – I mean, it’s still entirely possible to get up, turn it off, and flop right back on your bed, but at least you’ll be halfway there. 

3. Go on your phone for a bit when you wake up

Like I said in my article about dealing with insomnia, phone emit blue light, which slow down the production of melatonin in your brain, which means it’s harder to get to sleep. Whenever I go on my phone for 10 minutes or so after I wake up, I find it much easier to get out of bed – whether it’s the blue light from my phone or the fact that I was able to distract myself a bit while I fully wake up, I’m not sure, but try it if you’re having trouble getting up in the mornings!

4. Get more sleep

Yeah, yeah, I know, but seriously. If you’re getting 5 hours or less of sleep every night, of course it’s going to take its toll on your body. I’m not saying you have to go to sleep early every night, but try and go to sleep early at least every once in a while to help your body catch up on sleep. 

Leah is a fourth year Marine Biology student at the University of Guelph and a writer and editor in chief for Her Campus. In her free time she can be found engaging in activities such as reading and writing, drinking iced coffee, playing video games and staring longingly at the dogs she’s not allowed to pet on campus.
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!