Wellness > Health

How to Still Make it to the Gym in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

Look, I get it. College is crazy. As a sophomore involved in the wind symphony, Model United Nations, HerCampus, and pursuing a double major, I know first hand that the first thing to go when you’re busy is your health. But hitting the gym is super important for both mental and physical health, so here’s how you can start fitting your workout time into your busy life.

Prioritize your gym time

It’s really important to start prioritizing going to the gym during college. By putting the gym in the column of “required” instead of “optional,” you make sure that you don’t sacrifice something that is important to your health, both physically and mentally. You will start to see it as important to your schedule as attending classes.

Alternate workouts

The most important thing about working out is to find a good balance that fits your lifestyle. You don’t need to go every day and you don’t need to use the same machines every time. By mixing it up, you begin to look forward to the workout more and begin to think of other ways you can improve yourself in the future. 

Get a gym buddy

Finding a gym buddy is another great way to hold yourself accountable for your workouts. This is especially great for morning workouts. There’s no better motivation to wake up early for the gym than knowing that your friend is waiting for you.

Add it to your schedule

If you are someone that lives strictly according to schedule, try writing in work out times. That way, you plan all your other events around the gym, ensuring that things like homework or studying is done at a different time. Scheduling will help you realize how much time you actually have and setting reminders on your phone can also help you stay committed to the time you scheduled.

Vary the lengths of your workouts

Your workouts can vary in length but still be just as effective. You don’t need to be in the gym for a full hour in order to really sweat. Thirty minutes in the gym can be just as useful if you plan your workout right. High Intensity Interval Training is a great example, but you can also get a similar effect by upping the intensity of your normal workouts for a shorter period of time. 

Prepare for the gym

Plan things out beforehand to maximize your time. This kind of goes along with the idea of scheduling time to workout. If you are planning to do a morning workout, set out your outfit the night before. If you want to go in the afternoon, pack a change of clothes and a snack in your bag before you leave your house. This makes you more committed to the idea of working out and will ensure that you don’t feel too rushed. 

Adrienne Poissant

Gettysburg '22

Adrienne is a senior at Gettysburg College studying political science and religious studies. Besides being a Campus Correspondent, she is involved in the wind symphony, Model United Nations, and enjoys reading and writing for fun!