This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Moving during a pandemic is not the most ideal. Especially when you’re moving into a new apartment for the very first time.

Floor plan and price comparisons, resident applications, credit check and property insurance — they’re all very daunting. As a college senior who has lived on-campus throughout the past three years, I was intimidated. I felt ignorant. There were so many things I didn’t know how to go about and it gets frustrating sometimes. 

My boyfriend and I looked at apartment after apartment, hoping to find a place that fits my budget, is close to campus with a bus stop, and other requirements I had in mind, such as having a study/den and a big kitchen. 

living room
Photo by Kara Eads from Unsplash

After much work, looking at thousands of reviews, we finally decided on a place and got our application approved. We found us a new home! And there comes the next obstacle in this adulting journey — moving furniture and belongings to the third floor of the apartment complex. 

Moving is never easy, but having to do it during COVID-19 made it even more of a challenge. We wore masks the entire time and were very conscious of either wiping down surfaces or leaving surfaces untouched for 3-5 days for potential viruses to die. It was very stressful and draining since we had to do multiple trips. Nevertheless, after many exhausting journeys, we moved everything in and ready to start this new chapter. 

Related: A Quick Guide to Moving Off Campus

Fast forward to two weeks later, we’re now tackling virtual learning in our new cozy apartment. Looking back, all the trouble we went through was worth it and we had a lot of fun picking out Ikea furniture, building them, and looking for ergonomic desk set-ups. It was also the first time I really had the chance to be creative and essentially “design” how we want our apartment to look and feel like, since I lived on-campus the last three years and there are limited things I can do with my space. My boyfriend and I spent time envisioning the different color schemes we could have for the apartment, the various furniture placements and orientations, and decorations we could get to make the apartment our own. 

Couch
Photo by Patrick Perkins from Unsplash

Related: 10 First Apartment Essentials

It’s been a fun little project and the fun doesn’t stop here! We also get to be creative with our meal planning every week, delegating the “chef” for each night, and making weekly grocery lists. 

Collegiettes, adulting can be scary. Being in college is all about being out of your comfort zone, taking steps towards adulthood, one baby step at a time, all while we are still in the safety net before we graduate and be on our own. 

Whether you just moved into your first college dorm or your first apartment, you’re taking a huge step, and I am oh so proud of you! Embrace the change and the struggle!

Marina Li

George Mason University '21

Marina is a junior at George Mason University studying Communication with a concentration in Public Relations with a minor in Marketing and Tourism & Events Management. She is a social media coordinator, content creator and event planner. She is the kind of person who would burst out singing Disney, musicals, and Christmas songs out of nowhere. In her free time, she likes to watch corgi compilations, read, watch Netflix, think about life and experience repeated existential and identity crisis. Her dream job is to work with Pixar or Disney Studios.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com