This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

For as long as I can remember, I’ve hated to love food. Snacks we’re always prevalent in my house growing up and I ran for candy like a security blanket. I recently moved back to school and I’m blessed to live in a residence hall with a full kitchen. Over the last few weeks, I’ve gradually stopped seeing food as the enemy.

Food can fix your mood and body

Via Pixabay

Feeling sluggish? Go for nuts and proteins. Period cramps? Eat a banana! Are you feeling dehydrated? Eat celery and watermelon. They call them nutrients for a reason, people. It honestly took me until my junior year of college to realize that microwave mac and cheese sticking to the cup is probably sticking to my gut the same way. I know this sounds totally obvious, but so many people fall into the college diet mentality. Show some love for your body and give it the food it deserves.

I LOVE color on my plate

Seriously. The more colorful my plate and food are, the more aware I am of what I’m eating.  Last month, I cooked a fall-inspired berry turkey chili. I made pumpkin cranberry risotto with goat cheese last week and it was almost too beautiful to eat. Instagram your meals. Be proud of them.. If anything, doing so will only add to the cute aesthetic you keep slacking on.

Cooking changes everything

Via Pixabay

I absolutely love to cook, and living on my own now has given me ample time to find fun recipes to try. Taking half an hour out of the day to make a grocery list not only makes you excited and motivated, you appreciate every bite you take. Some of my favorite recipe sites include Tasty and Budget Bytes.

Related: Thoughts Everyone Has While on a Diet

It’s okay to feel hungry

Via Pixabay

I was literally afraid to hear my stomach growl, so I would eat larger portions to try and fend off that uncomfortable feeling until the end of my classes for the day. Spoiler alert- some foods can actually keep you fuller for longer periods of time. Oatmeal is a blessing and so versatile. Add any toppings you want and it’ll keep you running through your 10 AM class. I personally love mixing semi-sweet chocolate with dried cranberries on mine! If you feel a headache coming on, carry a snack in your bag so you’re not tempted to go for the vending machine.

Moderation is key

Via Pixabay

It’s been said a thousand times, but moderation really is key. When you know what you’re putting into your body, the guilt doesn’t hang around for that occasional chocolate bar. If you need that pint of ice cream after a breakup, totally go for it. Just balance it out with some water and extra veggies the next day. Honestly, the more nutritious and healthy foods you consume, the less you’ll crave the bad stuff, too.

I’ve always hated the term, “nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.” You know what tastes good? Eating a dish you shopped for, cooked and shared with your roommates for dinner. Now that’s sweet.

Courtney Boone

George Mason University '18

Courtney is a senior at George Mason University studying forensic psychology and criminology. She serves as Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus George Mason and is also a Her Campus National Chapter Advisor. She graduates in December of 2018 and will be starting her Master's in Criminal Justice this spring at Mason. The motto she lives by: "Put your hair up in a bun, drink some coffee and handle it." 
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com