harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Depression: A Letter of Gratitude to my Body

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Everything was alright until it wasn’t. I had never found it difficult to wake up in the morning and go to class. I have always been passionate about so many causes and things and I started to get worried when I found myself feeling lost and uninterested one day. Depression caught me off guard. It made me dislike the home that I live in, the home of my body. On days when it’s especially harder, I like to practice gratitude. I like to look at my body and thank it for getting me through the tough moments even when I am not kind to it. Here’s a letter of gratitude to my body:

RELATED: What It’s Like Having Depression in College

Dear Body of Mine,

Thank you for putting in all the energy that you did, to get me out of bed this week. I know that on some days, it’s more of a struggle. I wanted to let you know that you’re doing a wonderful job of keeping me going. I know I have not always appreciated you. I have put you through vigorous exercise and diets, thinking that if you looked a little smaller, I would love you even more. I want you to know that I appreciate you right now. I am in awe of your ability to keep pushing through even when all you want to do is curl up into a ball and not move. Thank you for giving me the means to express my emotions through writing and the ability to breathe in deeply when I am stressed. I promise to love you on the good days and the bad days. I will cherish you always.

Love,

Me

George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com