What’s For Dinner: An Easy Meal For The Inexperienced Chef

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

This past fall was my first experience living off-campus and thus, my first time having to actually cook real food for myself. Very quickly realized how little I know about cooking at all. When I was younger, my mother would trap me in the kitchen and attempt to teach me how to make easy meals.  She would say things like, “Don’t you want to learn?”  I would look at her blankly, a hard “NO” struggling to escape my mouth.  Instead, I would sigh, sit there and pretend to listen, while sneaking bits and pieces of food. There are two people in this world: Those who cook and those who eat what others cook for them.  I think it’s pretty safe to assume which one I classify as. But! As I no longer had access to endless meal plans (RIP), I told myself it was time to cross over to the other side.

The other night, it was about 8 p.m. when I realized how starving I was and decided to throw something together. I had a left over chicken breast from the week previous as well as a good portion of a bag of frozen cauliflower, so I decided to half use Google to find recipes; half throw random things together and hope they tasted good.  It turned out really well, was extremely easy to make and tasted AWESOME. I mean, come on, check this plate out… 

Here are the (very roughly measured) ingredients I used:

• 1 Boneless chicken breast
  • 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • Lemon juice
  • Dried parsley
  • Balsamic vinaigrette dressing 
  • 5 halved cherry tomatoes
  • 1 cup cauliflower
  • 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • Parmesan cheese, shredded
  • Salt/pepper

This is the recipe I used to guide me through baking the chicken breast: http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/8847/baked-honey-mustard-chicken/

And this is a recipe I had seen on Pinterest earlier in the week for the cauliflower: http://www.everydayhealth.com/health-recipe/balsamic–parmesan-roasted-cauliflower.aspx

Although the recipe says to roast the cauliflower at 450°F, I found that it was easiest and worked just as well to bake both at 350°F so that they’d be done at the same time.  I left out some ingredients I felt I didn’t really need/want, while adding a few drops of lemon juice, balsamic vinaigrette dressing and halved cherry tomatoes to the Honey Mustard Chicken sauce. Threw a handful of green beans (100% micro waved, nobody’s perfect) for some color on the plate and you’re all done! Easy and healthy. And trust me, if I can do it, then you definitely can too.

Ingredient logo: http://www.ingredientsforyou.com/assets/images/ingredients_leftLOGO.jpg

Brooke Fevrier

George Mason University

I am a Junior at George Mason University majoring in Communications with a minor in Graphic Design. Daily activities include binge eating, hanging out with dogs and watching endless goat videos.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com