Orangetheory Fitness: Not Your Ordinary Gym

Orangetheory Fitness is more than just a workout — it’s a lifestyle. Being described as the most effective workout you will ever experience, it is safe to assume that after trying it once, you wouldn’t even think of stepping foot in another gym. The best part? Orangetheory Fitness offers the first two sessions for free, so you can test the waters before making any commitment. There are several things that, in my opinion, set Orangetheory Fitness apart from all other gyms. They are as follows:

1. The Workout

Orangetheory Fitness cannot be compared to “normal” gyms. Instead of the hundreds of treadmills, free weights and workout machines that practically no one knows how to use (yes, I did look at the model on the side of the machine but no, I still don’t think I’m doing it right), Orangetheory consists of about a row of treadmills with a corresponding amount of rowing machines, and a modestly efficient area of free weights, TRX straps, ab dollies and other bodyweight and strength equipment.

Each workout is sixty minutes long, and is taught by a professional trainer. You would be surprised by how quickly these sixty minutes pass by. Although each workout follows a general circuit of treadmills, rowing and free weights, with treadmills generally dominating the class, each workout is entirely different. When I first signed up, I was fearful that if I signed up with the same trainer, I would be repeating the same workout. But this is not the case — I can happily say that I have never had a repeated workout at any studio or with any trainer.

Courtesy: Orangetheory Fitness

2. The Atmosphere

After only my second week attending Orangetheory Fitness in my hometown of Plantation, Florida, I was greeted by name from both the front desk staff and the trainers. With this location having over 900 members, it’s nice to see how much effort they put into getting to know and care about each individual customer. At every Orangetheory that I have been to, without fail, I see the trainers always smiling and excited to start the workout. Every single trainer is extremely enthusiastic and motivating during the entire sixty minute workout, making this workout that much more enjoyable. Another fantastic component of Orangetheory Fitness’ atmosphere is the music that they play during the workout. Each trainer plays music of their choice, creating a different environment every workout. Each song selected is always upbeat and causes you to keep your body moving, whether that song falls under the Country, Rock-and-Roll, or Hip-Hop category.

3. The After Effects (AKA: The Orange Effect)

The Orange Effect is what truly sets Orangetheory Fitness apart from other gyms. Although optional, Orangetheory Fitness prides themselves on using a heart rate monitor during each workout. Simply put, this monitor keeps track of your heart rate during the entire workout, dividing it into five separate categories (grey, blue, green, orange and red) and displaying this information on screens so you can check your progress during the workout. The goal during each workout is to spend the most time in the “orange” zone (thus the name Orangetheory Fitness). As explained at the end of each workout, the orange zone is so critical because this is the zone your heart needs to be in to produce the most caloric burning. The orange zone is critical because it produces a calorie after burn — allowing each member to burn upwards of 1,000 calories.

Courtesy: Orangetheory Fitness

For more information on the Orangetheory workout, cost or locations you can visit their website here.

Senior at the beautiful Florida State University. Creative writing major, entrepreneurship minor. Health enthusiast. Rap music aficionado. Find me (on my cheat days) at Yogurt Mountain rapping Migos.
Her Campus at Florida State University.