Midterm Motivation: 10 Quotes to Keep in Mind When You Feel Like Giving Up

We’re halfway through the fall semester. We’ve been struggling through midterms – if you haven’t taken any yet, brace yourselves. They’re coming. It’s that point in the semester where people start to lose motivation and get lazy. Everything was so promising on the first few days of school. We were all ready to start fresh, ready to dive in, ready to excel and snatch “As.” Seven weeks into the semester, some of us would kill for just a “C.”

I don’t know about y’all, but this isn’t going to work. Ladies, we have to step our game up. Our crowns are falling. We’re not doing as well as we know we can and sometimes, we just need some extra inspiration to boost our drive.

These are some motivational quotes I’ve found that I’m going to use as I study for and take my midterms, and I hope you can find use in them as well!

1. “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.” – Arthur Ashe

Try not to stress too much about where you are. Try your best and use the resources available to you, you will reach your goals in due time.

2. “Good, better, best. Never let it rest. ‘Til your good is better and your better is best.” – St. Jerome

Don’t settle for mediocrity.

3. “Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.” – Helen Keller

Positivity and believing in yourself are so, so important. You truly can’t do much or go far without self-confidence and optimism.

4. “It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” – Confucius

I always tell people this. People put so much stress on graduating college before 22, getting married before 24 and having kids before 26. Like I said before, you will reach your goals in due time.

5. “Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later.” – Og Mandino

It’s vital that you always do your best. Hard work pays off. Work hard now and you won’t regret it later.

6. “It always seems impossible until it’s done.” – Nelson Mandela

You can do anything you set your mind to.

7. “The secret of getting ahead is getting started.” – Mark Twain

You won’t go anywhere unless you get started, you’ll feel so much better once you actually start working/studying. I always tell myself this.

8. “Don’t watch the clock; do what it does. Keep going.” – Sam Levenson

In other words, don’t stress too much about time. Keep going, keep pushing.

9. “The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential… these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence.” – Confucius

Without drive and motivation, you can’t possibly be successful. You have to want to succeed.

10. “If you’re going through hell, keep going.” – Winston Churchill

Keep pushing. Things may be hard right now, they may be tough but nothing will get better for you unless you continue working towards your goals.

Good luck on midterms and keep your crowns on, collegiettes! Always remember: “As” before baes.

Courtesy: Chibird

Riel is a third-year student pursuing 2 degrees, one in Media/Communications Studies and the other in Editing, Writing, and Media. She is also double-minoring in African American Studies and Women's Studies. Riel adores editing, as well as writing poetry about her experiences as a Black woman and the Black experience in the United States overall. She is a spring 2019 initiate into the HARDWORKING Kappa Epsilon Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated. In her spare time, Riel loves to indulge in self-care. She is a mom to 10+ plants, 70+ crystals, and her sweet cat, Luna.
Her Campus at Florida State University.