Who doesn’t love a relaxing, cozy day? As a 19-year-old girl, I find a lot of enjoyment in taking naps, scrolling on social media, lying in bed, and, honestly, doing nothing. But not every day can consist of not moving for hours on end. Being active is important, but before college, I always had a hard time getting into the gym. Here are some of the ways I made it easier for myself to be a gym girl.

I Got on a tight schedule

I like to think of the gym as an extra class I’m taking rather than a thing that I only do when I feel like it. Telling myself that I have to go at a specific time each day has helped me get out of the dorm room and do it! This way, I know how busy the gym is and how long the workout will take me. It also helps me keep track of what I need to get done before and after I go.

@nicoleaxelson

happy tuesday cuties!! testing out some new workouts for our february challenge 🫶🏻🤍 #selfcare #selflove #vlog #gymvlog #gym #fitness #motivation #fyp #viral

♬ hot ppl only – sam

I go with a friend

For me, getting to the gym is a billion times harder if I’m trying to go by myself. The gym can be a crowded, sweaty, loud place, and being in the midst of all that chaos alone can be overwhelming, annoying, and straight-up unenjoyable. However, when I go with people I know and love, going there is so much more fun. Once I found a group of friends that I like to go to the gym with, I’ve always been able to work up the motivation to go. I even get excited about it now, which is a lot different from how I felt when I was going by myself.

I watch uplifting gym influencers

For a long time, I hated seeing gym videos pop up on my TikTok and Instagram feeds. I thought that the people I was watching set an unrealistic standard for fitness, and it made me feel bad about myself. However, once I stumbled upon creators like Whitney Simmons and Nicole Axelson, I realized that I don’t need to be “perfect” at going to the gym; just putting in effort is something to be proud of. These creators work to motivate their followers and make them feel good about themselves while also being open and honest about their own fitness journeys. On top of that, they share their workout details, show how to use the machines, and demonstrate good form, which I found to be very helpful. 

@whitneyysimmons

GLUTE DEMOLISHING DAY 💥‼️❤️‍🔥✨🫶🏼 walking you through my leg workout coming straight from @Alive App 🤪 LEGS GET ITTTTT i’m editing part 2 right now for you tooo my angel babies 1️⃣ 4×8 barbell RDL 2️⃣ 3×10 KAS glute bridge #gluteday #legdayworkout #legdayfeels #gymhacksforwomen #beginnerworkouttips #workoutsforwomen #micdupworkout #workoutwalkthrough

♬ original sound – Whitney Simmons

it’s about health

Throughout my life, I never thought it was necessary for me to go to the gym because I didn’t feel unhealthy. However, once I got to college and started walking up the Tallahassee hills, I realized that I was super out of shape, and this wasn’t something that I wanted to continue. I want to be able to enjoy my morning walks rather than dreading them because I get out of breath. I’ve found that looking at the gym as a means to improve my health rather than a way to change how I look has helped me a lot, as I know exercising will set me up for better health throughout my whole life. 

As much as I love rotting, I’m so happy that I became a gym girl. I look forward to being active every day now. I can’t wait to continue my fitness journey!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Skyler Glenn is a staff writer at the Her Campus at Florida State University chapter. She writes articles in each of the HCFSU major categories: lifestyle, culture, and campus. At Florida State, Skyler is majoring in Actuarial Science with a minor in Business. Although her major has much to do with math and little to do with writing, being a part of journalism organizations is one of her favorite things to do. In high school, she was the editor-in-chief for Hagerty High School's BluePrint newspaper and website, while also helping the yearbook staff with some design projects. During the summer of 2022, she served as an intern for Oviedo Community News, where she wrote stories about the local government, environmental issues, and more. In 2021, she was Florida's Emerging Young Journalist, and in April of 2023, she was named one of three Florida Student Journalists of the Year by the Florida Scholastic Press Association. When she is not doing way too much calculus, Skyler loves to spend time with her friends and family. She has a dog and two cats and loves to watch them chase their tails (and each other). She also loves to bake, listen to music, go to the gym, and sleep.