5 Exercises to Kiss Your Love Handles Goodbye

Welcome to your one stop shop regarding everything health and fitness. Weekly to bi-weekly, “Training with Tara” will support our readers’ needs of fitness inspiration, workout guides, healthy meals and more. So don’t be afraid to send in requests for next week’s column; we’ll be glad to accommodate.

Love handles are described as that excess bit of body fat that sits around your abdominal area that everybody loves to hate. Well, no more! With these five exercises, you will channel your mid-section, burning away any excess fat and making way for that killer core that’s underneath.

1. Plank Alteration

While maintaining a plank on your forearms, you may want to spread your feet out hip-length apart to keep you balance. Once your body is stable, take one arm and place your hand lightly on your head an inch behind your ear. You will want to start this exercise with your bent arm parallel to the mat as if your body is straight, holding a regular plank. Slowly twist your body outward, opening up your chest and making that one arm that’s parallel to the mat pointed towards the ceiling. It is important to know when doing this particular exercise to keep your hips pointed down towards the mat in order to target your obliques successfully.

2. Leg Lift with Twist

Laying flat on your back with your arms placed down towards you waist for support, lift your feet off the mat and towards the ceiling. Once your legs are at a 90-degree angle, bring your lower back off the mat and turn your legs as well as your hips 90-degrees to the left or right. Once you are done, lower your lower back towards the mat, while also bringing down your legs, making sure they don’t touch the ground and hover above the mat for the next lift. Alternate sides after each lift to create a balanced exercise.

3. Mountain Climbers

Lifting yourself into plank position, make sure that your shoulders rest directly parallel to your hands and that your back is flat and your hips tucked under. Once in the correct position, lift one knee towards your stomach and then return it to replace it with the next.

4. Floor Twists

Laying flat on the floor, spread your arms out to support your balance once you decide to lift your legs off the floor. Using a ball is optional, but it will help when completing this exercise (you can ask for one at either gyms located at Florida State). Bending your legs into a 90-degree angle with the ball between your thighs, lower your legs onto one side of the mat while rolling one side of your hip off the ground. Return your body to the center with your legs still bent and hips placed securely onto the mat and then repeat onto the other side.

5. Dips

Grab yourself an appropriate weight (I’m using 7.5lbs) and place yourself securely onto the equipment. It might help to spread your feet into a stance to help your balance. Holding the weight in the hand that is facing towards the floor, lower your upper body towards the ground. Make sure that your hips/shoulders are always pointing out (not towards the floor) and that the only part of your body that is bending is your torso.

To burn out your mid-section, do each separate exercise four times for 30 seconds rounds. Once four times are completed, take a one-minute break before transitioning into the next exercise. Remember to keep your core engaged during all movement in order to create the best outcome and to workout both sides during each exercise.

For more inspiration, workouts, meal prep and more follow @TrainingWithTara on Instagram.

Tara Lawson-Corley is a Florida State University graduate. She majored in Retail Merchandising & Product Development with the goal of someday working for a fitness driven retail company. Hopefully later on she will be able to own her own successful fitness boutique or at least that's the dream. Tara enjoys the occasional Netflix binge, reading numerous fashion magazines, and finding new and exciting ways to workout.
Her Campus at Florida State University.