This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Becoming vegetarian isn’t just about not eating meat, it’s also about discipline, self-care, and overall health. I haven’t eaten any meat in 6 months and while that may not see like that long of a time, I can already notice the positive effects that this diet change has had on my life. 

The first few weeks after cutting meat out of your diet, you​’ll notice that you have more energy and that you feel “cleaner.” You’ll notice that your body is running more efficiently and you won’t feel as sluggish. Mentally, you feel like you have a clearer head and you’re better equipped to handle daily challenges. 

After 6 months, I honestly feel better than I have in years. I know it sounds cliché, but I have a much clearer mind knowing that the food I am eating is not causing the death of any animals, and is also helping save the environment at the same time. I have noticed that my immune system is improving and I am not getting sick as often as I was before I made the transition over to a vegetarian diet. My joints are stronger and my muscle tone has increased from my decreased consumption of fatty red meats. I am not as tired as I used to be and that has made me more productive! Overall, my physical and mental health has increased exponentially since I’ve made the switch.

Becoming vegetarian is difficult and honestly, it comes with a lot of challenges. There have been times where I have been tempted to just eat meat because it would be easier or faster, but I have learned through this experience that my will and self-control are stronger than I ever thought they were. There are plenty of vegan and vegetarian brands out there that, in my opinion, taste just like their meat counterparts — or even better. You can barely tell the difference! Try being vegetarian for a week and I can promise that you won’t regret it!

Sociology and Philosophy Double Major at Fordham Rose Hill Interested in: Art, Music, Makeup and Current Events