This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

September for some is the beginning of a beautiful Fall season, and for others it is a month dedicated to bringing awareness to the third leading cause of death among youths. Suicide, reaching a national average of 123 deaths a day, and a global mortality rate of 16 people per 1000,000 dying every 40 seconds, has affected millions of families around the globe. According to the World Health Organization, it is predicted that by 2020 the mortality rate will increase to one death every 20 seconds. 

With these odds, you’re likely to know at least one person or loved one battling with depression, anxiety, eating disorders, or any other mental health issue. Suicide is a hard topic to discuss especially when you’ve been a victim of attempting suicide, or know someone who has. It’s important to know the signs and symptoms of suicide and how to prevent it from happening.

Signs and Symptoms

• Statements of feeling hopeless, worthless
  • Loss of interest 
  • Deep sadness
  • Self-destructive behavior
  • Out of character behavior
  • Irritability, anger, hostility 
  • Anxiety and panic 
  • Substance abuse
  • Isolation

How to #BeThe1To

On a local level, FIU students can get involved by attending the Suicide Prevention Outreach Event, where CAP interns and peer educators will provide awareness and information on suicide prevention. 

Together we can change lives by joining the movement of being the one to save a life. Spread positive awareness. Find your local crisis center. Reach out to those you care about because you never know if they are that one friend. Join the movement. 

I know how hard it could be to ask people for help without feeling like a burden. Sometimes, it is easier to say, “I’m fine” than to explain how you feel. Help is scary because it means being vulnerable to someone else, and you feel like you’re strong enough to fight this alone. But, you don’t have to do it alone. 

If you are experiencing depression or anxiety and need support, please call any of the following hotlines:

The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention

1-888-333-2377

The National Domestic Violence Hotline

1-800-799-7233

The Suicide Prevention Lifeline 

1-800-273-8255

Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA) 

240-485-1001