This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

As seasons change, so can your health! The transition from summer to fall can cause some people’s allergies to become more active or the change in weather can leave a lot of people feeling under the weather. With midterms, finals, and holiday gatherings coming up, the last thing you want is to be sick. To save you the trouble here are a few tips on how to avoid getting sick! 

For starters, commit to taking your daily vitamins! Because I am not a doctor, I highly recommend you consult with your physician to see which vitamins are more suitable for your body since some people lack certain vitamins. Vitamins are key to staying healthy because they assist your body in growing, developing, and building up your immune system. In addition to taking your vitamins, drink lots of water. The recommended amount is eight, 8-ounce glasses per day, a quick way to remember this is “8×8.” Drinking plenty of water helps to rid your body of toxins and has various benefits. According to Medical News Today, drinking water keeps the body hydrated, delivers oxygen throughout the whole body, boosts skin health & beauty, flushes waste, makes minerals and nutrients accessible, and more. 

Another tip for staying healthy is washing your hands; do this after shaking someone’s hand, returning home from somewhere, or being exposed to an unsanitary environment. Travel size hand-sanitizers are great for situations where you may not have access to a sink so try to always keep one with you. Moreover, it is also important to keep your hands out of your eyes, mouth, and nose. These areas are the easiest for germs to enter through so if your hands have touched surfaces that were most likely touched by others (who may have even been sick), you’re exposing yourself to more bacteria. If you happen to start feeling under the weather, hot teas or lemon juice with honey are great immune boosters. Lastly, a healthy diet, proper amount of exercise, and healthy sleep schedule will help build your immune system and keep you healthy all year long!

Hope these tips help!

– Claudia C. 

Sources:

https://www.health.com/health/condition-article/0,,20250939,00.html

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/290814.php