bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Small Things To Do If You’re Stuck in a Rut

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

At this point in the academic year, it’s inevitable that you’re beginning to get a little run down, tired, and maybe even in a bit of a rut. With all the deadlines coming up, it’s important to look after yourself by doing little things that will reduce the amount of academic pressure that you may be experiencing. Here are my top tips for self-care during deadline season!

1. Organisation – a mental change starts with a physical one. Try to get as much work done between a normal 9-5 day, and not do work after this point. Using the hours of an average university day leaves the evenings free for whatever you want – so watch a film! Go out! Spend the whole evening sleeping! You deserve it after a busy day of work.

2. On a similar note, another physical change that helps with motivation is exercise. There’s no need to get a gym membership or go on seven runs a week, just some morning stretches will do. I find YouTube videos of yoga routines very helpful, but find what’s best for you and roll with it!

3. Do a facemask – simple but effective. Just sitting on your phone for twenty minutes can do a world of good. Watch an episode of your favourite show and relax. To follow, have a long shower.

Instead of getting up for your 8:35 lecture at 8, brushing your teeth in the shower and chucking on the first outfit you see, try and have an extremely long shower in the evening. Put on your favourite music and just enjoy standing there in the warm. This tip is especially effective on the chilly run up to Christmas, but the key is to take your time and stay in there for as long as you can stand it.

4. Get dressed up – even if just for a lecture, wear your favourite outfit! Curl your hair if you want to, put on some makeup and make yourself feel amazing! I’ve found that, although comfortable, wearing pyjama bottoms and putting absolutely no effort in at all can get a bit boring. Even putting on a pair of hoops and wearing a cute outfit can do a world of good.

5. Dance around your room – dancing is perhaps the most underrated form of therapy. Put on your favourite Spotify playlist and have a boogie. Sing at the top of your lungs, let it all out!

6. Lastly, but most importantly, getting into contact with those you love is the best way to lift your spirits on a down day. Go home for a night or two if you live close enough and if not, FaceTime your family, friends or other half! Talk to them for hours and catch up, even if it’s just through texting. If possible, spending a bit of time at home can help refresh you and give you the break you deserve!

This week, I challenge you to wake up and think about something that you are excited to do during the day ahead – start your day off on a positive note!

Even if you don’t follow any of these tips, it is important to take time to do what you enjoy if you’re starting to feel overwhelmed at university. Deadlines are extremely stressful, so make sure you have some time to yourself and continue being the boss that you already are!

Just first year psychology student trying to read the minds of those around me!