Introducing Grit Strength – An Intense Workout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

High Intensity Interval Training, also referred to as HIIT, has taken the fitness world by storm as one of the only forms of training which continues to burn fat = post workout. Given people are short for time, particularly when they are travelling, the dreaded excuse, ‘I can’t exercise, I have no time’ is relied upon constantly. However, this explanation may no longer be justified considering the health benefits of HIIT appear to make it more preferable when compared with long steady state cardio. Interval training is generally favourable for people opting to lose body fat and increase muscle mass. This is because these short intense bursts of exercise facilitate the production of growth hormones and IGF -1. Thus, performing HIIT results in higher masses of lean body muscle. Moreover, individuals’ aerobic power will strengthen given the heart is put under intense pressure, thus, maximising cardiovascular capabilities, endurance, stamina and a strong heart.

HIIT involves engaging in 20 – 30 minutes max of exercise such as cycling or running at different intervals.  Although personal trainers opt for many different timeframe variations, personally, I recommend 30 seconds to 1 minute sprints followed by 30 seconds rest. Another timeframe variation which is often integrated into cycling sprint routines is 20 seconds at maximum capacity followed by 10 seconds rest.  Given the stress HIIT can impose on the Central Nervous System (which manages heart rate/blood pressure), recovery periods of 48 hours are recommended between sessions.

Need some inspiration for your HIIT routine? Well, this article is a good start. But I would also suggest taking inspiration from Les Mills Grit Strength, Plyo and Cardio sessions for additional exercises which are designed to accelerate that heart rate, strength your muscles and enhance your flexibility, speed and jumping power. Your HIIT cardio sessions should involve push-ups, planks, explosive burpees, mountain climbers, switch climbers, bear-crawls as well as high knee runs and butt kicks.

If you are eager to incorporate plyometric training into your routine, the gym ‘STEP’ is your best friend. Plyometric training is all about ‘jumping’. Thus, prepare your mind for burpees followed by jumping over the step, jumping onto the step before tuck-jumping off the step as well as push-ups and lunges on the step.

I’ve comprised a list of five of my favourite exercises that must be incorporated into your exercise regime in order to reap the physical and psychological benefits HIIT training has to offer.

1.     Jump Squats; just like a normal squat with an explosive element where you jump high and explode into the air before landing in your finished seated squat position. It is guaranteed to get your heart rate up and trigger a burning sensation in your quadriceps and glutes. If you are feeling extra confident, grab some dumbbells or plates (2-3kg) and hold them as you jump. The extra weight will make it harder to jump which means you will need to exert more force when leaping into the air, push your feet harder off the ground and further engage those muscles.

2.     Plated Jump lunge; Just like a normal lunge except you are holding onto two plates. As you position your right leg forward, extend your ‘weighted’ left arm in front of you and your ‘weighted’ right arm to the side. So you are lunging whilst alternating between a frontal and side raise. This exercise is a combination of strength and cardio to enhance your cardiovascular fitness whilst challenging the strength of your muscles.

3.     Strength and Cardio Test – Squat push press followed by frog kicks: You will need a barbell to perform this exercise. Firmly grab onto your bar with hands shoulder width apart. As you squat, the bar should be stationary by your chest line. As you rise, push the bar overhead to perform a shoulder press. Following this exercise, drop into a plank position with arms extended so your body weight is being supported by your hands and toes. Refrain from dropping your head and engage your core as you jump your feet back and forth, toward and away from your hands.

4.     Air Jacks with plates: Just like a star jump except you have weights in your hands (2-5kg). You can hold 2kg in each hand or hold one plate (5kg) with both hands and as you jump your legs to the side, extend your arms so the plate travels up to be in line with your forehead but should not be extended overhead. To ensure your technique is correct, watch the plate for the duration of the movement as it must remain in your eyesight throughout the exercise. 

5.     Mountain climbers with a push up: Position yourself in the plank position with your hands rather than your elbows contacting the floor and supporting your body weight. Keep your hands firmly planted as you bring alternative knees in towards your chest. Increase your pace once you have mastered this movement. After 10 reps, either drop to your knees or stay on your toes to perform a push up.  

These are some fabulous exercises that incorporate an element of cardiovascular and strength training to raise your heart rate whilst testing the strength and endurance of your muscles. Perform these exercises a couple of times per week and your body will thank you for it.