This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

We all have those days where we wake up on wrong side of the bed and we just can’t work out why. Staying under the duvet and ignoring the world seems like the most appealing option, with a heavy sprinkling of Netflix and ice-cream. We then stay in bed all day, spurring on feelings of being unproductive, laziness and sometimes just making our mood even worse. It’s on days like these, when we need something ready-made, that requires no effort to make ourselves feel better and a little bit spoiled.

So, here’s some tips on how to create a self-care kit ready for those not so great days. See it as your own mental first aid kit!

First: Grab something to hold your kit, it can be something as simple as a shoe box, or just a bag you’ve got lying around that you never use.

Second: think about what future you would actually want to do. I always get over ambitious, especially on a Sunday night before a new week. Deciding 100 new habits I want to start this week, right I’m getting up at 6am, drinking at least 4 litres of water a day and I’m going to organise my entire room. Be realistic about what you’re slightly negative self may actually want to do.

Third: You can either grab some stuff from around your house that you’ve already got, or you can make a little self-care date out of it and go shopping for some nice bits and bobs.

Some inspiration for things to put into your box:

1. Something skin care! A face mask, some pore nose strips or even a new body wash. Pop this in the box, so that you’re inclined to have a long shower and use your face mask or body wash.
  2. Something comfy! The best thing here is fluffy socks (I’ll admit, not so good for the summer months)
  3. Something scented! A nice smelling candle or an essential oil can sometimes work wonders. There is a lot research that proves a direct link between scents and emotion so it’s worth a try. Lavender essential oil is very relaxing and only £1.50 in wilko!
  4. Something yummy! This can be either food or drink, maybe you put your favourite bar of chocolate in there or a special tea you want to treat yourself to.
  5. Something nostalgic! Grab some pictures of your favourite memories and pop them in the kit. If you don’t want to print them, maybe make a specific folder on your phone of all your favourite memories and write a handwritten note to remind yourself to look in the folder.
  6. Something to brain dump! Maybe pop some paper and a pen, a journal or a to-do list pad in there. Sometimes it helps with our mood to get everything out on paper and release whatever we may be subconsciously holding onto.

You may be thinking to yourself, why would I bother to buy or gather all these things together for one specific occasion? If I have nail polish, a book and some chocolate already in my house, surely I can just get those things – I don’t need a box with them in.

This is true, but when it comes to willpower it’s sometimes easier if we remove all the possible barriers that may stop us doing what we know, in the end, will be best for us. If you have a little self-care kit in a shoebox stored away for occasions when you need it, all you have to do is reach for it and everything you’ll need is right in front you.

This is also means you can begin associating your self-care kit with making time for yourself. This will not only improve your current mood but take care of your mental health in the long run, which can’t be a bad thing!

Loads of HCX love xxx