Five Simple Ways to Meditate Everyday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

As college students, most of us will, or already have, experienced extreme stress, sleep deprivation, and hangovers (especially on Sunday mornings). We usually deal with these things by laying in bed, wishing we were five years old again, or eating a ridiculous amount of greasy foods that our bodies will probably hate us for later. I have recently started meditating once or twice a day for about 20 minutes to relieve some of my stress or anxiousness. While I know watching 20 minutes of your favorite Netflix show probably sounds more appealing than meditating, you never know how you’ll like something until you try it. And college is all about trying new things, right? So here are 5 easy ways you can incorporate meditation/mindfulness in your daily life. Peace, love, go become yogis <3

1.Wake up with a smile

Now this is going to sound super cheesy, but put a sticky note on your ceiling that says “smile” so it’s the first thing you see when you wake up. It’s simply a friendly reminder that today is a new day, there are 24 hours, and the world is yours. Take a few deep breaths before you get out of bed and you are pretty much guaranteed to start your day positively.

2.Follow your breath while listening to music

Whether it’s country, rock, jazz, or the latest Chainsmoker song, try following your breath while listening to music. Breath long, light, and even breaths while paying attention to the lyrics and rhythm. If you’re like me, sitting for 30 minutes not doing anything is almost impossible so this is a good common ground.

3.Be mindful while making tea

I know how much you all cherish your Starbucks coffee but tea is healthier, yummier, and there are so many to choose from! Try doing each movement slowly, being mindful of what you are doing (ex. I am holding the pot. Now I am pouring the water into my basic Starbs mug, etc.). Take some deep breaths and remind yourself that you are in the present. All worries from the past or those to come do not matter because right now you are making tea…and that’s all that matters.

4.Walking meditation on the way to class

Yes, this will look weird but so what. Instead of leaving 3 minutes before your calc class and running in looking like you just came from the gym, try leaving 10-15 minutes early. Take your time while walking there, think in the present, and take each step mindfully. Once you walk into class you’ll feel a lot less anxious and more in control (unless it’s an 8:20… then I can’t help you).

5.Deep breathing to fall asleep

It’s the end of the day, you did it. Now lie down on your semi-comfortable college bed and breathe evenly and gently. Focus your attention on the movement of your stomach as you breath in and out. Continue to take more deep breaths allowing the air to fill into your lungs for 10 or so breaths. You are sure to feel more relaxed and sleep like a baby. Sweet dreams! 

Alexis Giordano is a junior at Eckerd College where she is majoring in Psychology with a pre-health track. She became interested in physical rehabilitation when she experienced a neck injury as a child and is now planning on getting her masters for occupational therapy. She has gained communication and leadership skills throughout two main internships during her college career, and has developed a deep care for people. In the future, she hopes to work in the neonate intensive care unit as an occupational therapist and help parents effectively interact with their ill or premature babies while understanding the sensitivity of the situation.