bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Fitness and Lifestyle Blogger: Frankie Bull

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Despite being many miles away, we’ve been fortunate enough to catch up with Frankie Bull, Durham’s own fitness and lifestyle blogger, who is currently on her year abroad.

Last term Frankie worked as a receptionist in Granada in Spain, but is now based in Barcelona. Splitting her year into several short periods, the fitness fanatic is travelling a lot and really misses the locality of Durham and the lovely feeling of bumping into someone you know unexpectedly. So next time you’re feeling less than on form and sheltering behind your milk from those unwelcomed acquaintances, remember all our foreign friends who no longer have this luxury.

An avid gym bunny, she has found great comfort in her own regime – and believes that visiting local gyms have helped retain an element of home, being something constant. Frankie also loves how easy it is to meet people and has found all the Spanish gyms to be really welcoming, with the owners being super friendly.

She let us know all about her current routine that she’s been managing around her waiting.  Focusing a lot on powerlifting with minimal cardio, Frankie followed a variation of the 6 week candito strength training program (which she attributes to a gym-guru friend!) so that she was able to increase her squat and keep up her deadlift. She liked to work out between two and four times a week, but also warns us of the importance of rest days – particularly with the intensity of leg day – which really pump those endorphins!

Don’t worry team, Frankie is not letting those European fashionistas intimidate her as she’s stocked up on plenty of fab neon work-out tops. After all, everywhere is a catwalk. The savvy shopper also gave us a heads up, leading us to believe that the Wallis department in BHS – her favourite outlet in Durham, may be a bit of an underrated gem. She purchased a really well-priced faux fur coat a couple of years ago, which is still her wardrobe staple today.

When eating out, her go-to meal is a paella but she enjoys dishing up her own culinary delights. Eating a lot of rice and pasta, she mixes up her protein with avocado, eggs and tuna, and also loves to whack frozen veg and courgettes on her plate for a quick and easy dinner. 

Over the Christmas, Frankie returned home taking a quick break from her exotic adventures. She revelled in everything festive much like the rest of us! Apparently she slept to the max, soaked in all the much missed home cooking and rung in the new year with best friends, old music and wine – ‘oh what a night’ – we’re sad we missed it! Then of course, she topped off the celebrations by sleeping in her own bed – a true treat for a banished Briton.

Now in Barcelona, Frankie’s excited to try out the local culture and experience some dance (hopefully salsa classes!) which will help improve leg muscles instead of just upper body, which she has been focused on. With this new beginning, she’s also making it an aim to relax more whilst also taking on new hobbies, she’s started a journal to document her journeys and balance her mind.

Frankie also revealed that her make-up essential is MAC Springsheen sheer tone shimmer blush, which really makes your cheeks glow. Remarkably she’s been using it since first year and as a third year has only just repurchased it this Autumn. So it looks like this mighty product could be a stealthy investment to get you that glow, even if you’re not up to the fitness prestige of Frankie and her fellow wellness bloggers.

Steph Ryan
I am currently in my final year of studying English Literature at Durham University, England. I am hoping to become a journalist in the future, but in the mean time, I enjoy cheerleading, fashion and travelling, and of course, being the editor of Durham's Her Campus!