This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

It is officially mid-quarter. The leaves are changing color and falling from the trees. The temperature is slowly dropping. As exciting as the changes that fall brings to campus are, the stress and lack of motivation associated with studying for midterms, as well as being able to balance out schoolwork with work obligations is all too real. The excitement of the beginning of the school year has faded and the stress and fatigue associated with college burnout has officially set in.

It is at this time of the quarter when fulfilling basic needs such as adequate water intake, eating three meals a day, and getting enough sleep becomes challenging. On top of meeting all these needs, having the motivation to complete assignments and study for exams is difficult to maintain. By meeting the demands of college and fulfilling our personal needs each week, we begin to feel as if we are on a continuous loop that never stops. 

Like most college students, I constantly feel like I am drowning in a sea of coursework and in the obligations that exist outside college. To stay afloat, I like to take things one step at a time each day by focusing on fulfilling my personal needs as I complete my tasks for the week. If you’re also experiencing burnout, here is a list of recommendations that I find to be helpful.

1. Drink plenty of water

If you are like me and struggle with daily water intake, I find that bringing a water bottle to class each day helps me to stay hydrated. Bringing a water bottle to class is also helpful if you have classes across campus or have over an hour before your next class as you can take the time to hydrate yourself after walking and as you kill time between classes. 

2. incorporate healthy foods into your diet

Eating nutrient-dense meals and snacks is important in times of burnout. Foods that are rich in nutrients, specifically those that are high in Omega-3 fatty acids are beneficial for maintaining your health during this time. In addition to incorporating Omega-3 fatty acids into your diet, it is also important to reduce your intake of foods that are high in both sugar and saturated fat as well.

A great way to increase your intake of these foods is to have study snacks that are high in Omega-3 fatty acids and are low in sugar. Having these snacks on hand is also great for when you have classes that are over an hour long. For snacks that are high in Omega-3 and low in sugar, I recommend vegetables with hummus or ranch, sliced fruit, and smoked salmon and crackers.

3. get enough sleep everY NIGHT

As tempting as it is to pull an all-nighter on a paper that you have been delaying, or for an exam that you have the next day, it is not worth the exhaustion that you will feel following an all-nighter. As a result of pulling an all-nighter, you may be unproductive and low in energy the next day.  

To maintain adequate amounts of sleep each night, it is important to develop a healthy sleep-wake schedule, where you go to bed at the same time every night and wake up at the same time each morning. To achieve this, I recommend that you set a time when you will stop working on your assignments for the night and instead use that time to read or do some self-care. Next, set a time when you will go to bed each night and be ready to do so at that time. By developing a nighttime routine, you will be able to adjust your body’s internal clock and you will become used to going to bed at that time and getting up at the same time each day. As a result, you will likely feel more relaxed and productive as you attend your classes the next day.

4. take breaks as needed

It is always important to set time for breaks after you have devoted the majority of your time to studying or writing a paper. Whether you go for a brief walk, read your favorite novel, or take a short nap, you are giving yourself, as well as your brain a much-needed break from studying. By taking breaks throughout the day, you are more likely to “reduce stress” and increase both your ability to “focus” and “retain information” better. 

This is important when you are experiencing burnout, as you are taking your mind off of what is causing you stress and giving yourself some much-needed time to focus on your needs. If you struggle with making time for breaks, I recommend setting a timer for at least 30 minutes and then taking a break when the timer goes off.

Whenever you are experiencing symptoms of burnout, I hope that you take these recommendations into consideration. Remember, you got this!

XO Her Campus!

Hi there! I am third-year student at CWU majoring in psychology with a minor in theatre arts. In my spare time, I enjoy baking, reading, singing, and exercising.