This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

I never knew how hard it was to cook and eat three meals a day before I got my own apartment. Now I feel like I am either sacrificing my taste buds or straying from my healthy diet in the 20-something scramble to become a successful adult. It doesn’t help that I’m not very comfortable cooking meat, especially chicken, and seek protein from other sources. So, to help myself out as well as hopefully inspire other college students who seek healthy meals that taste good and are easy to make, I have decided to write this article about unique sources of protein

Before I deep dive into an analysis of different protein sources, it is important to explain why protein is such a key part of your diet. Protein can be found in a wide range of foods: not only meat, but also legumes, seeds, vegetables, tofu, and more. Simply speaking, we need protein to grow, maintain a healthy immune system, and digest other foods. A lack of protein can contribute to fatigue, illness, and hormonal changes. One thing to take into consideration, however, is gender, weight, and level of activeness can influence your daily requirement of protein. Because everyone is different, it is not only important to understand the influence of protein on your body, but also how much your body needs per day. 

1. Chickpeas

With a booming 14.5 grams of protein per cup, chickpeas are a great option for anyone looking to spice up their diet. Chickpeas are also packed with fiber and are super cheap. I usually buy them by the can, roast them in the oven, and eat them with rice, sweet potatoes, or in a soup, but there are many other ways to cook with chickpeas. Hummus is another great option if you’re not a fan of chickpeas. 

1. Ground Turkey

Ground turkey is one of my favorite protein sources. Because turkey is white meat, it is low in fat and unlike ground beef, is less likely to cause cardiovascular issues. There is nothing more I love in this world than a good breakfast burrito packed with potatoes, salsa, eggs, cheese, and a generous serving of ground turkey. I definitely recommend opting for ground turkey instead of ground beef and experimenting with recipes

1. Protein Powder

Although it’s probably the obvious answer, protein powder is a great way to sneak some protein into your diet. Mostly used by athletes and gym rats, protein powder is full of nutrients which quickly make up for calorie loss during a workout. The possibilities of using protein powder are endless. Depending on which flavor you buy, you can make excellent smoothies, muffins, pancakes, or even use it as a topping on yogurt or applesauce. 

1. Eggs

I go through phases where I’m either obsessed with eggs or can’t stand them. I currently love eggs, which is wonderful because they are packed with protein, a heart-healthy food, and full of immune system boosting nutrients. I usually eat eggs for breakfast, scrambled in a burrito or fried in a sandwich, but they also taste amazing boiled. I recommend trying instant ramen with a boiled egg and some yummy veggies.

1. Yogurt

Finally, yogurt is an underrated protein source. One cup of yogurt, preferably Greek, can have around 8.5 grams of protein, a healthy amount of fats and carbohydrates, and is packed with probiotics. Many people only eat yogurt as a sweet snack, but if you buy plain Greek yogurt, you can add it to anything from curry to quiche. I love to add a dollop of greek yogurt to chili as a healthy alternative to sour cream. 

For new vegetarians, those with little meal inspiration, or anyone needing more protein in their diet, these protein sources are excellent alternatives to standard meat-based dishes. Obviously, there are many more foods packed with protein, like nuts, seafood, and barley, but these five ingredients are some of my favorites. Now it’s your turn to try cooking with some of these foods!

Lanaya Oliver

CU Boulder '24

Lanaya Oliver is the Editor-in-Chief and a contributing writer at the Her Campus Chapter at the University of Colorado at Boulder. As Editor-in-Chief, she oversees a team of editors, is the lead publisher and editor, and works as a campus corespondent. Outside of Her Campus, Lanaya is a senior at the University of Colorado Boulder. She is double majoring in both Psychology and Spanish with a minor in Sports Media. Her writing career started in high school when she was elected the position of school wide poet laureate after winning a poetry contest in her sophomore year. Now Lanaya’s writing has evolved from creative pieces to profiles and articles for her Her Campus articles. In her personal life, Lanaya is an ACE certified personal trainer and teaches both cycle and barre classes. Fitness is her passion and more often than not she can be found lifting weights, riding a bike, or running. She also enjoys being outdoors, binge watching movies, spending time with friends, thrift shopping, and munching on any white cheddar flavored snack she can find. Lanaya hopes to find a balance between her love for writing and her dreams of working in the fitness industry in her future career.