This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

When is the last time you let yourself breathe? Truly, breathe. Where you felt your toes sink into the ground and you let your eyes close and open when they were ready – no rush, just relief. This one moment of calmness has the power to produce several moments of courage, that of which we can always use more of in this life. Courage to see the beauty in the small things, and the miracle in the big. Courage to be grateful for the light and the dark. Courage to love yourself and brighten your light, to learn, to forgive, to be happy. 

Have you ever observed a butterfly and the way they fly? Their wings, bright and bold, never stutter in worry. They fly gently through the wind, one stroke of the air at a time. Be mindful of the little things, be mindful of everything life has to offer, it’s why we’re here, after all. 

Mindfulness has been the secret to human sanity for as long as we can imagine. It doesn’t take a special talent or heredity, it just requires you. Your attention to your physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual self. There is a whole universe of resources to become more knowledgeable on your mindfulness journey, there is sure to be something that will resonate and feel right to you. To learn about mindfulness, or expand your knowledge, podcasts and books can be such great resources. Here are some that are really insightful and helpful to me, and I hope these inspire you to breathe.

“The Mindful Kind” by Rachael Kable

This podcast is one that I find so beautiful to use once a day, whenever that may be. It is kind-toned, uplifting, and warm. Rachal Kable walks her listeners through calming “How to’s” and plans that will effectively better their lives. “How to Manage Acute Stress”, “How to Reset for Success”, “How to Set and Maintain Boundaries,” just to name a very few episodes. This podcast in my car on my commute to work in the morning has been so amazing to me. It allows me to really sit and reflect, to check in with myself, and I end up feeling so rebalanced for the rest of the day. This one is beautiful, I highly recommend it. 

Available on Apple, Spotify, and Audible.

“The Crystal Directory – 100 Crystals for Positive Manifestation”

This book is fantastic if you have decided you want to experience the healing energies of crystals! The book is simple to read, navigate, and understand – which makes it easier for the reader to learn. Crystals, when you use them intentionally and do so correctly, have so much to offer your being. To cleanse, protect, attract, release, heal – these stones from the very earth we call home want to help us so bad. It is magical when you give them the power to. 

Available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Etsy!

“The Things You Can See Only When You Slow Down: How to Be Calm and Mindful in a Fast-Paced World” by Haemin Sunim (2017)

I can go on and on about how this book is so magically inspirational. The author, Haemin Sunim, is a renowned Buddhist meditation teacher born in Korea and educated in the United States, illuminates a path to inner peace and balance amid the overwhelming demands of everyday life. Topics include: wisdom and tips on how to slow down while staying in the fast lane, crucial for college students feeling burnt out. This book will help you to stay present and does so, so artistically beautiful.

Available on Amazon and Google Books.

“Mindfulness for Beginners: Practical Guide to Mindfulness Meditation & Productive Life: Tips for the 21st Century Human” by Martin Lippmann

From this book, you will read and discover the time-old tradition of meditation. It goes into depth on how to meditate, how to use meditation techniques to calm your mind, and how to practice mindfulness daily. The author conveniently provides examples of some of the countless physical and mental benefits that mindful meditation can bring to you. 

Available on Amazon and Apple Books

Invest effort and diligence into bettering yourself, and watch your aura shine in a way you’ve never felt before. There is no right or wrong way to be mindful, you just have to get to know yourself, you have to want to get to know yourself. Mindfulness will come to you mindlessly, when you learn how to focus your energy on life. Time and time again, I’ll remind you that you, darling, are made of pure stardust; born of a billion different stories. There really is something incredible about working towards your highest potential, your highest self. There’s always more to learn, to love, to forgive and admire, I hope you find the courage to exercise mindfulness. I hope you find your breath.

Gabriela Guevara

CU Boulder '23

I am passionate about happiness and the freedom for people to feel love. As I am working towards a degree in Political Science and Ethnic Studies, & eventually law, I hope to inspire people to reflect, learn, and spread light. Thank you for reading my words! xoxo
Sko Buffs!