This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Fitness is such a versatile thing. It improves both physical and mental health and yields a healthier lifestyle overall. Whether you have some serious fitness goals or just want to get your body more active, here are some tips to help you get started on your fitness journey.

Set Goals.

Think about what you want to achieve through fitness. It might be weight loss, muscle gain, or just a more active lifestyle in general, but determine what you want out of your experience. Going into it with a basic vision will help you stay motivated.

Do your research.

Based on your goals, do some research on how to achieve them. Look up specific exercises or workout regimens, recommended eating plans, or even just equipment to use. This will help you feel more prepared and organized on your journey. Of course, these plans are not something that you have to follow, but rather a recommendation for how to best achieve your goals.

Talk to an expert, if possible.

This sort of goes hand in hand with doing your research, but sitting down with an expert like a personal trainer or a health professional can provide an easier start to the journey. These specialists can help you come up with a plan that is perfectly tailored to your goals.

Make a plan.

Plan out your schedule based on workouts and eating. This will help you stay on track with your fitness goals and make you feel more organized, as well as allow you to notice the things that are working and those that aren’t.

Don’t put too much pressure on yourself.

Starting off any new lifestyle is hard. Be committed, but don’t forget to enjoy life and give yourself rest as needed. Progress is not instantaneous, but I promise you it pays off as time goes on. Don’t get discouraged either, just because it feels like nothing is changing. Be proud of yourself for even starting!

Fitness can transform your life in so many amazing ways, and if you feel it’s right for you, get into it! At the end of the day, listen to your body and do what makes you feel good. I wish you all the best in starting this journey.

Masha Gradushy

CU Boulder '22

Masha is the Editor-in-Chief of HCCU and is a senior at CU Boulder majoring in Finance. When she's not doing school work or writing articles, you can probably find her working out, drinking an iced coffee, or scrolling through TikTok. She hopes you enjoy her content!
Sko Buffs!