This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

The Chloe Ting, Pamela Reif, and Whitney Simmons workout trends have taken over the minds of young women who aim to get perfect abs and butts. Yet, what some of these girls don’t know is that you can’t get “Abs in 2 Weeks” or the body that these YouTubers have by doing a 10 to 20 minute workout. To achieve their goal, it takes a combination of weightlifting, muscle-building, a high-protein diet, and, most importantly, patience. In fact, I was one of those teenage girls religiously following the YouTube videos, until I realized that I was not building muscle or losing fat at all. So, let me say it now… INTENSIVE CARDIO IS NOT (usually) THE ANSWER. As scary as it may sound, going to the gym will definitely help a lot in achieving your fitness goals. Here are my five main tips for using the gym to your advantage!

1. use the weights

Most girls, from what I’ve gathered, want to be toned, not just skinny. To achieve this physique, one must be in a caloric maintenance state where they are building muscle, yet burning fat. It’s important to be aware of your macronutrients (carbohydrates, proteins, fats, etc). This means eating lots of proteins, little fat, and an average amount of carbs (remember, carbs are energy, and your body needs the energy to function properly). It’s important to note, however, that every person and every body is different, so what may work for one person may not work for another. However, I cannot stress enough how important it is to lift weights and eat protein to build muscles. The more muscle you build, the more proteins and calories you need to maintain it. In terms of lifting weights, doing higher reps is important, and make sure you’re challenging yourself a decent amount.

2. create a workout playlist

Personally, I need an upbeat and empowering workout playlist for when I work out. Find the music that keeps you going during your workout. It can be intense EDM, hip-hop, pop, etc. Find what works for you and what makes you want to keep going. And if you’re down bad, no music is okay too!

3. Practice form

The only time it’s okay to break your back is when you’re twerking, so it’s important to use proper form when working out, so you don’t pull a muscle or seriously injure yourself. When dealing with heavyweights and machinery, it is especially important to be mindful of proper form and how much you can handle. If you’re first starting off, I recommend practicing form with little to no weight, then increasing the resistance the more comfortable you become. When in doubt, don’t be afraid to ask someone (or Google) for help.

4. try new workouts, then build a workout routine

It’s important to have an idea of which workouts you find enjoyable. Discovering both fun and challenging workouts you can see yourself doing long-term is super important in your workout routine journey. Try to identify at least 3-5 workouts that target each different muscle group. Once you do that, you’re on the way to building a workout routine that works for you!

5. be confident and have fun!

At the end of the day, it is important to remember that fitness is a marathon, not a race. Progress won’t happen in a week or maybe even a month, so it’s important to enjoy the ride! And as you go to the gym more frequently, your confidence builds; it truly does become a place where you can destress, release some endorphins, and focus on the moment. And, with consistency, you will begin seeing results and hopefully become even more confident!

Good luck on your journey in becoming the ultimate gym hoe! 

P.S Don’t take steroids kids!

Krystal McCook

Columbia Barnard '24

Hi guys! I'm a sophomore at Barnard College majoring in Neuroscience and Behaviour on the premedical track. My hobbies include dancing, gaming, weightlifting, and going on walks.