stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

How to Deal with Being Sick While In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

One of the joys that come with living in a dorm is being able to get sick with everyone else. Just kidding, most likely if you have not already, you will become sick as we head into the upcoming winter season. But don’t worry, I have some do’s and don’t’s for you so you can be prepared for when the time comes.

DO’S

● Stock up on your medicinal supplies -While on your Target run do not forget to pick up your Alka-seltzer, NyQuil or your DIY home remedy (honey+lemon).

● Get out and get active -I know! You just want to rest but getting out and doing something as simple as walking can help you clear up that stuffy nose.

● Rest -You may be thinking of course! But often many forget to make sure they get the right amount of sleep.

● Eat -Maintain your daily intake of food and drinks.

DON’T’S

● Jam-pack your schedule -Make sure you have your priorities in check first and set aside those other simple tasks for after you get well.

● Force yourself to go to class -Yes, attending class is important but also put your health first. A great idea is to email them and let them know of your current health state.

● Set aside getting your flu/cold checked out -If you can make sure you go to the doctors or campus medical building to make sure you do not have a detrimental cold. It may be easy to self diagnose yourself through WebMD but most likely not the best way to find out the true diagnosis.

Joy is a senior at Clark University majoring in Management on a data analytics and marketing track with a minor in Community Youth and Education Studies. She loves going on road trips and spending time with family and friends. She enjoys trying various cultural cuisines (Indian food is her favorite **Chicken saag with a side of naan please**) and has an obsession with going to Morocco.
Monica Sager is a freelance writer from Clark University, where she is pursuing a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. She wants to become an investigative journalist to combat and highlight humanitarian issues. Monica has previously been published in The Pottstown Mercury, The Week UK, Worcester Telegram and Gazette and even The Boston Globe. Read more of Monica’s previous work on her Twitter @MonicaSager3.