3 Ways to Stay Motivated and Sane Through the End of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

With the homestretch of the spring semester quickly approaching, it can be a challenge to stay motivated for the grand finale of studying, final exams and lengthy research papers. There are, however, ways of maneuvering end-of-semester lethargy that will allow you to rightfully anticipate the summer that is upon us. Here are three simple ways to help you stay motivated for the rest of the semester.

1. Set goals and set rewards. Goal setting and agenda making are two fantastic ways to make sure the anxieties of the semester don’t completely control your entire being. One way to ensure that you’re staying on task but maintaining a mental balance is to set reachable goals for yourself––whether it’s daily, weekly or monthly goals. Making an agenda not only helps to plan when work will get done, but also allows you to plan when to take a break and do something that helps maintain your sanity. Once you set goals, you have an incentive to reach them. Once you reach them, you feel good about yourself, which helps to motivate you to set even more goals to reach. If you reach a goal, have a reward in store for yourself like relaxation time (which we’ll talk more about below).

2. Find time for relaxation. Whether you’re a math wizard, rising scientist, or lover of literature, there are always high demands to produce your best work and best results. However, it is always very important to get in tune with your inner self and find the time to relax. There is a wide range of opportunities to gain some inner mental peace: yoga, binge watching a Netflix series, reading your favorite magazine or book for entertainment, exercising, or simply listening to some music. Everyone is different and everyone has a different version of relaxation––so own it! Take time to unwind and step away from the pressures of the semester so that you can perform better overall.

3. Seek support. This time of year can be tricky to handle when it feels like you’re To Do List is ongoing; however, there are plenty of opportunities for you to seek support on campus that will help settle some anxieties. Making and maintaining connections with friends, family, professors or professional counselors are great sources of support and guidance when you’re feeling overwhelmed and stressed. It’s always good to know you can rely on someone to listen to your pitfalls and give you reassurance that you can do this––because you can!

There are various ways to help maintain positive vibes that will keep you motivated to finish off the semester without a hitch. Sometimes, it’s just finding the sources of motivation that can be the trickiest part. These are three sources of motivation that can significantly increase your will and incentive to produce your best work this semester, and all other semesters to come!

Samantha Coleman is a student at Clark University, in the midst of pursuing a degree in English and Women and Gender Studies. She thoroughly enjoys reading and analyzing literature, especially literature that pertains to the impacts of women on society, which she knows is a hefty impact! Among reading, she is an avid writer, where she creates works that help women feel confident in their own skin. You can find her stretching out on a yoga mat, catching up on personal reading, or throwing punches at a boxing gym. While she hopes to pursue a career in teaching English literature, Samantha is very excited to write for Her Campus.
Kelly is a student at Clark University pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Cultural Studies and Communications with a minor in Business Management. When Kelly is not in class, you can find her working in the Education Department at The Hanover Theatre, teaching Zumba classes and dancing her heart out with Clark University's Dance Society. Her favorite color is pink (especially Her Campus pink!) and she loves everything monogrammed. Kelly enjoys spending time with her friends, family, boyfriend, and two adorable cats. Kelly is thrilled to be a new Campus Correspondent alongside one of her best friends, Ciara Kilian. Follow along with her on Instagram and Twitter @kellrour HCXO!