5 Ways Yoga will Improve Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Yoga is proven to have a positive impact on health in general as it reduces stress levels and associated ailments. Practicing Yoga also combats the effects of depression and anxiety. These issues are so prevalent in today’s society and I believe that we could all benefit from a little yoga, and here’s how:

1.      Stress Relief

Breathing exercises and synchronizing the breath and poses are a key component of the practice of yoga. Also setting aside time in your day to relax and listen to your body can be incredibly restorative.

2.      Mindful Eating

While are working on your body and mind through yoga you want to fuel your body in a nutritious way. Mindful eating consists of being aware of what you are eating and how you are eating, so you can enjoy every last bite!

3.      Fitness

Another great benefit of yoga is that you are working on muscles you might not otherwise. You’ll find yourself looking and feeling increasingly toned and more flexible. 

4.      Awareness

Yoga creates a sense of awareness for yourself and those around you. Being mindful helps to develop a sense of compassion and a connection to our peers.

5.      Self-Regulation

Breathing exercises also help develop a tool for relaxation in stressful or upsetting situations. This ability to cope can help us keep our composure and maintain healthy relationships with the people who are important in our lives.

As an instructor for the Clark Yoga Club I remind my students to carry their practice throughout their day and this can make a world of difference in each of these categories.

Namaste!

Isabelle is a student at Clark University, who has declared as a Cultural Studies and Communications major and a minor in sociology. She is a yoga instructor at Clark, as well as the manager for the Clark Field Hockey team. She has a deep love for sea turtles, the free people Instagram account, and card making. When she isn’t procrastinating school work she can be found on the sidelines of Clark athletics events, or hanging out with friends and family. Isabelle is really excited to be a contributing member of the Her Campus team.