stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

A Busy Girl’s Guide to Staying Fit and Healthy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

A Busy Girl’s Guide to Staying Fit and Healthy This Fall

By Annie Maurer

College is an amazing time where you get to try new things, learn about your passions and make new, exciting memories. If you’re anything like me, you probably want to get involved with everything, but life can become hectic if you sign up for too many things. 

Trying to stay healthy and fit while balancing work, school, clubs and organizations, and a social life can feel like just another thing to add to your to-do list.

It’s important to make time for yourself and pay attention to your health, because the habits you form now will follow you into adulthood. Here are 5 tips to stay healthy and fit this fall, despite a busy schedule! 

1. Take the stairs

It’s a small thing that can make a huge difference! Taking the stairs to the second floor for your class or up a few flights to your apartment instead of the elevator gives you a chance to get your heart rate up and get your blood flowing. Experts agree that you burn around 0.17 calories per step, which adds up throughout the day! 

2. Make healthier food and drink choices

It’s easier said than done, but choosing a salad at the dining hall or choosing water or juice at a restaurant instead of pop can make a huge difference in your overall health. Making conscious choices to eat lots of ‘good for you foods’ and cut out extra sugar can have a big impact on your energy levels throughout the day. If you love the bubbles in pop, try a flavored seltzer water! Same fizzy sensation with less than half the calories of pop.

3. Take time to rest. 

Sometimes saying no is the best thing you can do for yourself. Remember your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Begin by admitting you have a lot on your plate, and prioritize school and the things that are important to you. Start saying no to things you don’t have time for or don’t want to do. Use that time to take care of yourself and take a nap, read a book, enjoy a bubble bath, or watch Netflix. 

4. Attend a free class at the Rec Center. 

If you’re looking for a good way to get more into fitness or squeeze in a quick workout, attend a free class at the Rec Center! There are classes all throughout the day with a variety of workouts from dance to spinning to rock climbing!

5. Set small goals and stick to them. 

Setting fitness and health goals can be hard, especially with busy schedules. Setting just one small goal, like cutting out pop for a week or getting more than 6 hours of sleep every night, and sticking to it, is a great way to start forming long-term healthy habits. Once you accomplish one small goal, set another! You’ll be amazed at the changes you’ll see.

Annie Maurer

Cincinnati '21

Annie is a current student at the University of Cincinnati.
Emma Segrest

Cincinnati '22

Emma is a current Creative Writing and Journalism major at the University of Cincinnati and works as the Editorial Captain for Her Campus UC. When she is not writing she can be found reading Jane Austen or tending to her plants.