Get Fit with the Nike Training Club

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Free is a very good price and even better when what you’re getting is quality. That’s exactly what the Nike Training Club at Lenox Mall provides; a quality workout for free. A few weeks ago I went to my very first and definitely not last NTC session. I generally consider myself to be at an above average level of fitness but boy did this one hour kick my butt.

From the very moment we stepped foot into the two story store the energy was through the roof! The music was blasting, people were chatting amongst themselves, some individuals were stretching, a vendor was giving out free bottles of antioxidant rich Bai tea, and people were clamoring to get a prime workout spot on the second level of the store. There was even a booth where people could pick out pairs of Nikes to test out during the workout. When the 8 o’clock hour hit DaShaun Johnson (@guru_of_abs) and Jamar Robinson (@playhrdtrainhrd) told us to find our places and get ready to work hard. They announced that they were looking for the MVPs of the hour which only motivated me more.

The actual workout was a mixture of cardio, body weight exercises and ab work that the trainers turned into a fun fast paced circuit. They were each on small stages in the middle of either side of the show room floor leading our workout. We began by warming up by jogging in place and stretching then the work came and we were doing exercises like burpees, side planks, dips, pushups, and squats. Throughout the workout Nike representatives were weaving between handing out water to quench our thirst, paper towels to wipe the hard earned sweat, and offering enthusiastic motivation. The trainers alternated leading the exercises and kept their high spirits the entire time, they even came into the crowd to push the participants to their full potential. They encouraged us to go at our own pace but to push ourselves as far as we could; although there were at least 100 participants it felt like an extremely personal workout session. 

At the end of the workout I was out of breath and glistening in sweat but I felt spectacular. The session ended with the MVP awards, the female one going to my best friend Tamera Green, and a group photo. Although we do not know each other the fact that we had all just struggled through a workout together made it feel as if we did. Whether you are an avid fitness feign, just starting out, or somewhere in between you belong at the Nike Training Club. Don’t think twice about signing up… Just do it.

Dual-sport athlete Tenicia Winston is a Senior Writer for Her Campus CAU. She likes to stay on the move, whether on the field/court or off. The native Oregonian is a Junior at Clark Atlanta University majoring in Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing. She is a member of the Isabella T. Jenkin’s Honor’s Program where she serves as an event planner as well as a staff writer for their newsletter. . During her freshman and sophomore summers of college she directed an inner-city youth sports camp for the non-profit Portland Parks and Recreation. Her future endeavors include becoming a brand ambassador for a sportswear company such as Nike as well as opening a chain of women’s fitness centers. In her leisure time she enjoys hiking, working out, and baking.
Kayla Antoinette Walker has always been an ambitious and motivated young woman and has always set high standards for herself. She is an aspiring event/wedding coordinator majoring in Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing at the illustrious Clark Atlanta University in Atlanta, GA. She chose to attend Clark Atlanta after graduating Valedictorian of her high school class at Carver High School in Columbus, GA. As a senior, Kayla has a passion for mentoring and wants to bring a sense of pride and empowerment to the women of Clark Atlanta to encourage them to "be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire". Kayla says to always be a girl with a mind, a woman with attitude, and a lady with class. Go forth and be great!