The End to Obesity: One Exercise Class At a Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Many teenagers and young adults are being diagnosed with obesity. Obesity is a medical condition in which a person is significantly overweight for his or her age. As a result, many health issues can arise such as diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease. According to the National Institutes of Health, obesity is the second leading cause of death in the United States. In order to control this nationwide crisis, it is recommended to stay active and exercise, preferably in a group or class. Exercising in a group or class is effective because it strips away any intimidating notion towards going to the gym by providing the motivation needed to complete exercise routines. In return, a daily routine develops which marks the start of a successful weight loss journey. 

The first time walking into a gym can be very intimidating. While walking, the first thing that is seen are people of different shapes and sizes accumulating so much sweat that they are literally drenched from head to toe. Then, as the eyes travel from staring at the different people, they begin to observe the different machinery. There are ellipticals, treadmills, step machines, weights, and various other equipment that can be used to exercise each muscle in the body. 

Between looking at the people and the machinery, a queasy and nervousness feeling begins to overpower insisting that the body bolts for the nearest exit. However, before the legs can begin to back peddle out the door, a group of welcoming people with open arms appear. They start encouraging to participate in an exercise class rather than exercising individually. With all eyes staring waiting for an answer, it is very hard to say no. So, the answer is yes.  

When stepping forth into the exercise room, you notice that the perimeter of the room is surrounded by mirrors which forces one to look at him or herself and everyone else in the room. The instructor begins informing the class on what areas the workout is going to target. Then, the upbeat and fast tempo music starts.  

Everyone seems like a professional as they perfectly execute each move and routine. Meanwhile, as the new member, it is challenging to keep up with the veterans in the room and it seems almost impossible to breathe! As the immense routine continues, it becomes frustrating to a point where quitting seems like the best option in the moment. As the veteran members begin to take notice of the self-defeating attitude, they start to motivate and encourage the class not to give up. They say, “ You got this.” , “The routine is almost done”, and “You are strong enough to persevere to the end”. Cheers and claps begin to fill the room too.   

With the constant uplifting and encouragement to finish, the adrenaline starts pumping energy through the veins which allows the successful completion of the intense workout routine. Finally, the workout is complete and an instant feeling of relief overflows and the feeling of accomplishment begins to reside in the atmosphere; that feeling of accomplishment is so strong, like a drug, it becomes addictive. As a result, that “addiction” makes the attendance of an exercise class become a daily routine. 

Looking at the mirrors all around, everyone is drenched in sweat with smiles on their faces feeling as if they accomplished a mission; that feeling is contagious. That feeling of accomplishment is so contagious that it inspires participating in an exercise class to become a daily routine. Suddenly, the people and the gym do not look as intimidating as they did before. In conclusion, exercising in a class or group develops into a daily routine which, in return, begins the cure of the growing epidemic of obesity amongst teenagers and young adults.  

Giana Levy is a freshmen Journalism major at Clark Atlanta University and serves as an editorial writer for HerCampus CAU. She plans to use her work as a writer to inform the public on current events and give new perspectives on various topics.