Do you love Taylor Swift’s list of ex-lovers? Here are 5 songs that were written for some of them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Taylor Swift has been a pop culture icon since 2007. She is always teaching us with her lyrics how to deal with relationships and how to be prepared for possible disappointments. With that, Taylor solidified her fame by singing songs that described her past relationships, some good, and some bad.

In this list, Her Campus Cásper Líbero brought ten songs written by Tay about her ex-boyfriends, what each one means, and for whom each one was.

1. All Too Well (10 minutes version)

Being an adaptation of the song of the same name made in 2012, All Too Well (10 minutes version) brings more details about the singer’s relationship with Jake Gyllenhaal, which lasted from 2010 to 2011.

The song says things about an older man dating a girl just out of her teens, like the two were at the time: Jake being 30 years old, and Taylor, 21. During several excerpts, it is possible to see that this was the main reason for the end of the relationship: the age difference.

“You said if we had been closer in age
Maybe it would’ve been fine
And that made me want to die”

Currently, the actor is 41 years old and his last girlfriend, Jeanne Cadieu is 25. As is quoted by Taylor in the excerpt: “I’ll get older, but your lovers stay my age”.

2. Better Than Revenge

Written in 2010, Better Than Revenge, it seems, was written for singer Joe Jonas, famous for participating in Camp Rock 1 and 2 (2008 and 2010), and for being a member of the group Jonas Brothers.

The song is about a girl who steals another’s boyfriend by pretending to be someone innocent. And something very similar happened to the singer, while dating Taylor. Joe met Camilla Belle and ended his relationship to be with the actress.

“She’s not a saint and she’s not what you think
She’s an actress, whoa”

3. Back To December

The track Back To December from 2010 refers to actor Taylor Lautner. The two met during the filming of the movie Valentine’s Day and started dating in the same year.

This time, the song is an apology to the actor, since it was Taylor who ended the relationship.

“Because the last time you saw me
Is still burned in the back of your mind
You gave me roses and I left them there to die”

4. Style

As the name implies, the song was composed for the famous Harry Styles. Their relationship lasted just a month and resulted in a track on the 1989 album.

During the song, Taylor describes the singer’s appearance very well: “You got that James Dean daydream look in your eye/ You got that long hair, slicked back, white T-shirt”.

During the song, Taylor also talks about a relationship in which the two like each other, however, they were not born to be together. She comments that they are a sensation couple and that everyone supports them, but that the decision to keep only the friendship was consensual.

“And I should just tell you to leave ’cause I
Know exactly where it leads, but I
Watch us go ’round and ’round each time”

5. Dear John

Revealing the name early on as with Style, Dear John was made for John Mayer. They dated in 2009 when she was 19, and he was 32.

Throughout the lyrics, Taylor says how she felt hurt by the way she was treated by him: “Don’t you think I was too young to be messed with?/ The girl in the dress, cried the whole way home”. And she even says that she was not the only victim:

“All the girls that you’ve run dry
Have tired, lifeless eyes
‘Cause you burned them out”

Upon release, John Mayer said he felt humiliated by the song and it made him feel very bad. Should have thought of this sooner, John!

Well, now you know some Taylor songs that were written for her ex-boyfriends. Do you have a favorite?

👯‍♀️ Related: “Midnights” by Taylor Swift is really what we expected?

———————————-

The article above was edited by Júlia Pupo.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Cásper Líbero for more!

Ana Luiza Sanfilippo

Casper Libero '25

Journalism student at Cásper Líbero, in love with books, music and cliché movies. Future writer, journalist and a little bit more.