Best Ways to Motivate Yourself to Exercise

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

Exercise is extremely important, especially in college. If you’re anything like me, you suck at trying to get yourself to workout. Here are some of the best ways to motivate yourself to exercise so you can reach all of your personal fitness goals.

Photo courtesy of Pexels

1. Getting more energy

Exercise helps with increasing your energy levels, and it’s a great way to wake yourself up in the morning. Starting your day with a workout can help keep you awake in the morning and help prepare you for your day.

2. Considering the health benefits

Exercising is a great way to boost your metabolism, immune system and your overall health in general. With how easily illness spreads in college, and how common it is to eat junk food, exercising is a very important part to help prevent getting sick and with keeping your body in shape.

3. Doing activities you actually enjoy

Exercising doesn’t have to be lifting weights or running; create a fitness regimen that works for you. Most college gyms have access to free personal training, from the athletic science and athletic training majors, so use it! They can help you create the best routine for what you want to get out of your workout and so you can do what you enjoy.

4. Feeling better about yourself

Working out is a great way to increase your mental and emotional health. College tends to lead to high stress levels and bad coping methods, so let exercise and positive thinking help boost your mental health to get you through the semester.

5. Thinking about the end result

You wanted to start working out for a reason, so keep that reason in mind. Remember the goals you set, and work until you reach those goals.

Whether you’re struggling with your New Year’s resolution, or just want to work on your health, I hope this list helps you motivate yourself to workout!

Rep image courtesy of Pexels

Sierra Eno

Carthage '19

Sierra is a junior at Carthage College majoring in Criminal Justice and minoring in Political Science. She loves dogs, pizza, cookie dough, and crime shows.