This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

When it comes down to it, we all wish we had a little more time to do something we love. Hobbies are a great way to express ourselves, as well as take care of ourselves. What most people don’t think about is how their hobbies affect them mentally. They allow us to relax, de-stress, and overall just feel happy. So, if you’re struggling to find activities that can benefit you mentally, here are five that you can try.

1. Reading

Sometimes escaping your reality is needed. Reading allows you to go anywhere at any time. You’re ultimately allowing yourself a chance to not overthink by taking yourself out of whatever situation you’re in and diving into another world.

2. Painting

Whether you’re an artist or not, painting can be a way to calm your mind. You can allow yourself to focus on creating a picture or draw what’s troubling you. Many artists turn to art to portray their struggles, and even if you just want to paint a picture of the sun, at least you’re channeling your energy into something beautiful. Check out Bob Ross on Netflix – painting and positivity are his forte!

3. Exercise

Sometimes what’s best for your mind is also best for your body. This can be in any form – not necessarily going to the gym. Walking away from something troubling is sometimes crucial, so take a walk. Personally, yoga has helped me tremendously when I feel overwhelmed and anxious.

4. Journaling

Similar to painting, writing can be art. You don’t have to write down what’s going on in your head, but again, focusing on another task can alleviate the tension of negative thoughts. If you choose to write about your troubles, it can be a form of release that can help you overcome and grow from the problem.

5. Photography

If you decide to take that walk, why not make it worthwhile and take some pictures, too? Photography can provide an incredible outlet that allows you to capture the beauty around you. It can also serve as a reminder that there’s a whole world in front of you, so take it in.

Bonus: Visit a Museum

Here’s a way to combine walking, photography and art! Although it might not be a hobby you can do every day, just paying attention art is an excellent way to take your mind off of negative thoughts, as well as meditate and appreciate what is in front of you.

The next time you’re feeling stressed out or bored, instead of taking a nap or marathoning Netflix, try one of these healthy hobbies to make some improvements to your wellbeing!

Ali Jagielo

Carthage '19

Ali is a senior at Carthage College majoring in English with a double minor in Communications and Public Relations. She is originally from Westmont, IL, but wishes to one day live in Chicago. She is a proud member of the Beta Lambda chapter of Chi Omega here at Carthage. When she is not working or in class, she loves to spend her time reading, watching Netflix, or going on adventures with her friends.
Jane Eckles

Carthage '19

Jane graduated from Carthage College in May 2019 with a degree in English and Secondary Education. She is from Merced, California, which is close enough to San Fransisco for her to confirm that the City by the Bay is her absolute favorite. When she's not teaching or writing articles, she can be found collecting any book she can get her hands on, watching Netflix, staring mindlessly into the void, or napping.