This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

As the months get hotter and the days get longer, summer brings about new challenges to staying healthy mentally and physically. Summer means different things to different people, as for some it may be their favorite time of the year because of the extra daylight, and some may see it as a challenging time away from your college friends. Nevertheless, staying healthy can be something to focus on during the summer months despite the extra hot weather and your summertime sadness. Here are some ways to keep your mental and physical health in check during the upcoming summer months. 

Exercise, Exercise, Exercise!

I know, some of us would rather be doing anything but exercising with the added 20 degrees to your already hot workouts. But as much as you don’t want to hear it, exercising will help release those endorphins and put you on your way to having a healthy summer. Start simple by refining your yoga practice with a YouTube video or a five minute dance workout. Working out will help pass the time and get your body moving, which will help you out both physically and mentally. If you are up for a challenge and want to work toward toning your muscles or losing a few pounds, try the Chloe Ting  Summer Shred for an intense workout regimine. 

Communication is Key

Even though you might not be able to hang out with your friends from school as often, if at all this summer, keep in touch! Summer can be a challenging time if you are moving back home or perhaps living in a different city for an internship, so make sure to keep in touch with those you miss! If the Shelter In Place orders are still happening during summer, making sure you are reaching out to friends and leaning on your support system is so helpful to keep those lonely feelings at bay. On the other hand, if we are able to socialize over summer, make the most of it! Making plans doesn’t have to be intimidating, so just put yourself out there and embody the social butterflies that you see on TV. 

Meal Planning 

Without school to keep us on a tight schedule, our days have more flexibility and so do our meals. While this can be stressful and overwhelming when day after day you are snacking out of boredom, try to find a healthy balance by experimenting with meal planning. By paying close attention to what goes in your body, you will ensure that you are keeping up a nutritious, well-rounded diet. With this being said, don’t execssively limit yourself and allow for exceptions when you want to indulge every now and then! One of the hardest things to balance with meal planning is knowing when to let go a little bit for the sake of your own mental health without forgoing your physical health entirely. Accountability is your friend, so reach out to a friend or family member to try this new habit with you.

Explore a New Hobby 

If you’re like me, having nothing to do is often one of the worst things for my health. Being productive and constantly busy are things that make me feel my best, and I am sure it is the same for many of you. So with the extra time that summer often brings, spend time honing in on a skill or hobby you have always wanted to try. One hobby I have found entertaining and that will help to keep your hands busy and off your phone is weaving! Check out my previous article to learn more. An activity possibly more at your disposal could include recreating some paintings you found on pinterest or trying your hand at graphic design with Adobe Photoshop. If these artsy activities aren’t your thing, try out baking or finding some things to do on YouTube. 

By incorporating some of these activities into your summer routine, your lifestyle will become more balanced and ensure you stay healthy over summer. Hopefully, you try out some of these activities and enjoy the journey to becoming a healthier person overall this summer! 

Kate Inman

Cal Poly '23

Kate is a first-year student at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo studying Political Science with a concentration in Data Science and minoring in History and Economics. At Cal Poly, Kate is involved in Her Campus, Cal Poly Democrats, and the Studio Art Club in addition to interning for Congressman Carbajal's Campaign and working for the VP of Student Affairs. In her free time, she will likely be crafting up a storm or making a mess in the kitchen attempting to recreate Bon Appétit's creations! She loves to paint, create macrame wall-hangings, and has just started to learn how to weave on a loom. Other than that, she loves a good travel adventure accompanied by friends, a good book, and sometimes both! You can find me on Instagram @kateanninman and @katescreation for more about me!