This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Miley Cyrus’s new song ‘Flowers’ has been taking over all Spotify playlists, TikToks, and dance parties one by one. Her latest self-love anthem stemmed from her divorce with Liam Hemsworth after he reportedly cheated on her. She brought her A-game by transforming a song that used to be so close to her and Hemsworth and dedicating it to moving forward — quite the power move. The song in discussion is Bruno Mars’s “When I Was Your Man”. Her chorus beautifully translates a story that most likely meant so much in her relationship to something of a parallel message.

This song includes so many calls to action and I thought it would be fun to break down the lyrics of her chorus and find all the ways you can live them out, because let’s face it… no one can love you better than you can.

I can buy myself flowers…

There are soooo many cute flower shops around SLO. I have always loved having flowers in my house, be those just a single flower or a small vase for my room. One of the greatest ways to brighten up the place (or even create a new start for yourself) is to add some pretty flowers!

…write my name in the sand

Ahh the beach… there is nothing quite like it! It’s a great place to spend time with friends or have picnics and night time bonfires! SLO has many different beaches to offer all within a reasonable distance. Avila, Pismo, and Grover have many great amenities and fun things to do.

Talk to myself for hours…

This one was so easy. Journaling is a calming way to destress your mind and wind down from the day. It has actually been proven that putting pen to paper opens up your unconscious. So, simply by writing down your thoughts you will “unlock” and deep dive into places of your mind and discover things about yourself you may never knew you felt or needed to know.

…say things you don’t understand.

Women seem to have a secret language, and most of the time men just never understand us! So why not go the extra mile and learn a new language to not only challenge but also immerse yourself in a new culture! The opportunities are truly endless! 

Ce sont les petites choses (It’s the little things.)

Take myself dancing…

“Exercise gives you endorphins, endorphins make you happy…” The gemini vegetarian Elle Woods couldn’t haven’t said it better! Dancing your heart out is the best way to get into a better mood — even better if you do it with friends! Have a dance party in your room or have a girls night out. I promise you will feel better.

…hold my own hand!

I don’t know about you but I loooove feeling put together. Getting my nails done and having a self care day is one of the easiest ways for me to do so. Laying back in the massage chair while I get my nails filed and polished is *sigh* heaven…

Cause I can love me better than you can.

In the end, self love is the most important thing. You only have one body, one mind, and one soul to carry with you through your life. It is imperative to learn how to love yourself before you can fully love anyone else — be that family, friends, or a partner in a future relationship.

“Always fill up your own cup first, and allow the world to benefit from the overflow.” -Anonymous

This trend has also been taking over tiktok by having users recreate the lyrics in the song. Here are some of my faves! Check them out below (and maybe it will inspire you to make your own!)

@spencer.barbosa

this is my new anthem 💃💅✨ too damn good #girls #relatable

♬ Flowers – Miley Cyrus
Abigail O'Branovich is a third year student at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo majoring in Journalism (news and PR concentrations) with minors in Media, Arts, Science, and Technology (MAST) and Event Planning. In her free time she enjoys singing, playing the guitar, hanging out with her sorority sisters and living her active lifestyle. She is also the influencer for the Cal Poly chapter!