Worthwhile Changes in a Tale as Old as Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

For those who have watched the new live action Beauty and the Beast, you may have noticed some differences between the live action version and the animated version. For those who have read the original literary works, you’ll notice that Disney brought back some aspects of the story and incorporated them into the newly released film. Here are 10 changes I saw in Beauty and the Beast and why I liked them!

2.) Belle’s passion for reading and her need to help others learn was also more evident in the live action film. She encouraged a young girl to read with her when she noticed the young girl’s curiosity and praised her when she successfully read a sentence. Belle’s independent and sassy attitude was also shown when Belle stood up for herself and the young girl, when she questioned why the town had an issue with having more than one literate female.

3.) Beast has a personality! He’s more than just a terrifyingly brutish monster or a lovestruck, compassionate gentleman. He has a sense of humor and the live action film also portrays some of the characteristics from the original literary works. For example in the original literary works, Beast was depicted to be a fellow intellectual and part of the reason as to why he and Belle bonded over time was through their mutual love of learning. In the live action film, Beast made a nonchalant comment about reading all the books in his library, except the ones written in Greek, and had a discussion with Belle about their favorite Shakespearean plays.

4.) In the animated version, LeFou is a simple minded minion that Gaston can easily step all over. However, LeFou in live action has a personalty that added more to the story. He questioned Gaston and knew some of Gaston’s ideals and acts were wrong. He’s also witty; when Gaston declares that he’ll marry Belle, LeFou subtly states that all Gaston has to offer in a relationship is his “athletic inclination.” I think several audience members, especially younger audience members, can sympathize with LeFou when he refuses to admit that Gaston left Maurice, literally, to the wolves. When you’re being pressured by someone who not only has an enormous amount of power in the place you live, but you also thought of as a friend, you become inclined to help them out, regardless of what’s right.

6.) They brought back the real reason as to why the Beast imprisoned Maurice. According to the original written works, Belle asked for a rose as a souvenir from her father’s trip; when Maurice was about to leave the castle to go back home, he stole a rose from the Beast’s garden. In the written works, the Beast, although hidden, allowed Maurice to stay in the castle and made sure to give him food and a comfortable place to rest. After his hospitality, the mere act of attempting to steal from the castle infuriated the beast, especially because we know how important roses are to the Beast. The live action film adopted the same sequence of events: Belle’s request for a rose, Maurice getting lost, Maurice staying in the castle, Maurice taking a rose, and Beast getting angry and imprisoning him.Tale%20as%20old%20as%20Time%20via%20photopin%20(license)“>Photo courtesy of Photopin.com

Disney has done it again! If you haven’t already watched the live action Beauty and the Beast I highly recommend that you do!

Kyla Buenaventura

Cal Lutheran '19

Kyla Buenaventura was the Writing Director and Senior Editor for Her Campus at Cal Lutheran from 2017-2019. She double majored in Economics and Political Science with an emphasis in Law and Public Policy. When she was still at Cal Lutheran, she loved writing and inspiring her Writing Team to express their love and passion for topics through their own unique writing styles. 
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!